Chapter 22

Life has a way of shaping people into something else. A person is like a canvas waiting to be painted on. You can turn out to be something beautiful and full of life and light or you can turn into something dark and unwanted, thrown into a corner where spiderwebs cover you. Such is the case for three boys named Tobias, Carlos and Michael.

They had seen the dark corner and told themselves they wouldn't rot there. They'll make their own light by whatever means. Once upon a time things were a little bit good. They went to school even though their parents struggled with the fees, they had people wanting to be their friends because of the mysterious auras they carried around but when things hit the fan everyone scampered away. That was when they knew it's only the people in the corner that stuck together through it all.

Tobias stubbed the cigarette in his hands and spat at his feet in anger. Everything was slipping, his plans, his friends and possibly his mind because of one mistake he made in the name of Daniel. He watched him the other day, prancing around with Penelope and her friend as if his life was bright and colorful. He didn't deserve to be happy while they still sulked in the corner. He didn't have the right to become beautiful again.

His eyes narrowed on his ankle and head which were fine. Not a scratch. He found it really strange.

He'd made a decision that he would drag Daniel back to the darkness with him. A week from now the coast will be expecting a new shipment of soda cot, flake, hell dust, ganja, all sorts of drugs. Rumors have it that it's supposed to be their biggest purchase of the year before it hits the streets and black market. This news should've scared him off but Tobias was even more daring to plan to infiltrate this shipment.

He had his friends on his back even though a bunch of them were cowards, not trusting. Never trusting his sense of judgment. They were actually suggesting that they leave the kind of life they led behind and look for honest means of getting by. Why? Because of what happened to Daniel. Cowards, the lot of them.

They don't realize that all fingers are not the same. They're the corner paintings, the one people despise, and there's no hope for them. One thing's for sure, Tobias would never change.

Daniel looked like a man of his words. And soon, just a week from now, he'll be held onto it. It might just cost him his life but he couldn't care. It's like killing two birds with one stone.

•••

The night dragged on as the moon showed itself in the sky, illuminating the presence of two people below it. A boy and a girl lost in thought about how cruel the world can be to people and how on earth they'll manage to go home after giving Sadiq Aesha their remaining money.

Not that they regretted it. Penelope knew for sure that she'd do it over again if the situation presented itself. It's just the image of a worried Betty pacing around her room that had her thinking much. To make matters worse both their phone batteries were dead so they had no one to contact for help.