prologue

The wails of the young girl echo off the walls of the delivery room

The wails of the young girl echo off the walls of the delivery room. Her hand crushes that of her lover as encouragement falls from his lips. Her mother stood on the opposite side of the bed, comforting her daughter as she brings life into the world.

"One more big push, you can do it," The doctor says. Just then, the loud cry of a newborn baby rings through the room. "It's a girl, congratulations." The nurses clean up the child and move to pass her off to her mother.

"No, let him hold her first. He's the one who's going to raise her." She says looking up at him. The young boy slightly trembles as he takes his baby girl in his arms. His eyes glimmer as he looks down at her, his little girl, his joy, his future.

"Hi, sweetheart." He says in a soft whisper. "What are you going to name her?" She asks him. "It's up to me?" He looks up, finally tearing his eyes away from his daughter. She nods and he looks back down, thinking.

She's going to have to be tough. Her life's going to be hard, she needs a name that'll help her get through it.

"Athena," He says after a moment, smiling. "Good name, strong," The young girl's father says, nodding. "Good luck, son."

a/n ---  this is the first fic that I've posted

a/n ---  this is the first fic that I've posted. all feedback is appreciated!