eight

Street gets two days off to recover

Street gets two days off to recover. Days that he spends driving Athena crazy. The girl loves her father but she can't spend another minute hearing about how he's sure Chris is mad at him.

She's tried reasoning with him, Chris has a right to be mad but she'll get over it, Athena's said probably fifty times in the last two days. At this point, she's going to call Chris herself to sort this out.

When the time comes for her father to go back to work, Athena can't be more relieved.

Street, on the other hand, is full of jitters. Most of the team have made it clear that they're over it but he knows Hondo is hurt and he has no idea how Chris is feeling. At least Hondo sent him a text saying to let him know if either of them ever need anything. Chris has been radio silent.

~~~

He gets to work and everything seems normal. Locker room banter is the same as it's always been, teasing and lighthearted. He gets a few questions about Athena that he happily answers but otherwise, it's a mostly normal day. Only mostly because Chris is giving him the cold shoulder.

She doesn't talk to him unless it's absolutely necessary. He knows why she's mad, he would be too, but it upsets him nonetheless.

This goes on for a few days and the whole team is sick of it. None of them do anything about it though, choosing to stay out of the drama.

Street is mulling over this while working in the armoury late one night. He's so deep in his thoughts that he doesn't hear Deacon when he comes in. His attention is drawn when the older man speaks.

"You thinking about the situation with Chris?"

Street doesn't bother using words to reply and simply nods his head.

"What exactly is bugging you?" Deacon prods.

"I know why she's upset, I just wish she'd talk to me about it." Deacon hums, silently urging Street to go on. "Maybe I should have told you guys about her from the start."

"Maybe, maybe not. What's done is done, there's no use in thinking about the what-ifs." Street tries to interrupt but Deacon continues. "What you should never second guess is the decision to keep your child safe. You did what you thought was best for her and nobody can fault you for that."

"Thanks, Deac."

"If you ever need another father to talk to you, I'm always here. Chris will get over it, just give her time."

And with that, the older man exits leaving Street to think about his words.

~~~

It's a few days later when the team sees Athena again. The team is in the command centre when Street catches a glimpse of an officer guiding his daughter through the entrance. He silently slips away, hoping not to draw their attention.

"Hey sweetheart, what are you doing here?" He asks while pulling her into a hug and kissing her temple.

"My class was cancelled and I have a free period next so I was just going to go home, but I thought I'd swing by and bring you lunch." She replies as she holds up two brown paper takeout bags. "There should be enough for everyone."

"Thank you, honey. I'm sure the team will appreciate it." She smiles at that. "How was school?"

"School was school, glad it's over though and it's Friday!" Athena says. "I don't know if I could do another day without a break."

Street frowns, "Why don't we go out tomorrow? We can do something fun, just the two of us."

"I'd like that, dad." She states. "We could go to that new farmer's market that just opened up."

"That sounds good," Street says. He takes a step back to fully evaluate her and then frowns.

"Is that my jacket?"

Athena looks down at the leather jacket much too oversized for her frame, acting like she has no idea what he's talking about.

"This is mine." He shakes his head with a slight chuckle.

"Okay, sure honey." He stretches out the first word in a sarcastic manner. "I have to go now, I'll see you at home."

"Bye Dad," Athena gives him a tight hug and Street kisses her on the forehead before waving her off with a goodbye.

Street walks towards the kitchen to drop off the food before making his way back to the team. When he does get back, he notices the team taking sly glances at him.

"What?" He asks, but all he gets back is a chorus of 'nothing's.

~~~

10 minutes ago

When Street makes his exit, he's not as subtle as he thinks he is. Chris notices him as he slips away and follows his path.

She sees Athena, for the first time since the revelation. She watches as he greets his daughter, sweetly. Chris watches them talk, both having fond looks on their faces. She can't hear what they're saying but whatever it is, Athena's eyes light up.

"What are you looking at?" Tan asks before following her gaze. The rest of the team does the same, quietly observing the pair.

"I've never seen him like this," Chris states, hums of agreement coming from multiple team members.

"It's nice, refreshing even," Hondo says.

They watch him wave her off before carrying two large takeout bags towards the kitchen.

"Anyone else suddenly hungry?" They break out into laughter at Luca's declaration.

"Shh, he's coming."

Street returns and notices their odd behaviour but the team dismisses his questioning.

Chris stares at him, deep in thought. She knows why he did what he did but it still hurts. After watching the pair interact she thinks that she understands. His decision was purely in his daughter's best interest and she decides there is no way she can fault him for that.

She moves to join the time near the big screen and knocks Street's shoulder with her own as she stands next to him. He looks down at her with a questioning look but she just gives him a smile before turning her attention to the screen.

Street simply smiles back. 

a/n - Guys, I think I've been replaced by a clone

a/n - Guys, I think I've been replaced by a clone. 3 updates in a week?? That's not normal me behaviour.

But seriously, thank you all for the kudos and comments, I get so excited every time I get notified of them. Thank you guys so much for reading and feedback is welcome!