six

Pain

Pain.

Pain is all Street feels when he regains consciousness.

A throbbing pain in his head, an ache in his joints, and a stabbing in his side.

As he struggled to sit up, he took in his surroundings. He was cuffed to a radiator in what looked to be an old house. The house seemed somewhat familiar, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

That's when he heard a voice. A familiar voice in a familiar house. Street manages to crack an eye open to see the source of the noise. He spots a man, back turned to him, through the crack of the door.

Street catches a glimpse of his face when he turns and that's when it hits him.

Benjamin Hansley

A man from Street's patrol days. His first big arrest back in Long Beach. He had heard that the man had gotten out 3 months ago on parole but hadn't put much thought into it.

Street looks around for anything to get him out of his current predicament but before he can fully scan the room, he hears it.

The telltale sound of the flashbang has relief coursing through him. He knew his team would find him but this is a lot sooner than he expected.

Maybe I was out longer than I thought

His team's thundering footsteps echo down the hall, lulling him to sleep. Before he can drift off he feels a rough hand on his face.

"Hey, hey Street." Hondo's voice rings through his head. "Come on kid, eyes open."

Blinking slowly, Street manages to peel his eyes open long enough for Hondo's face to come into view. He feels a hand wrap around his bicep and turns to see Tan helping him up.

"You good, Street?" Luca's concerned voice comes from a few feet in front of him.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I don't think I have a concussion or anything."

"You're still getting checked out by the EMT's." He turns to look at Chris and nods. He's not going to argue with her when she gets like that. Not if he wants to keep his life.

It takes a minute but Street manages to steady himself enough to walk out of the house on his own. He lugs himself over to where the EMTs are waiting for him expectantly.

He lets himself be checked over and cleared, with strict instructions to get to a hospital if symptoms of a concussion start to appear. The entire time his team hovers over him, not saying anything and with conflicted looks on their faces.

When they pile into Black Betty and begin the journey back to HQ, Street decides to speak up.

"What's up, guys?" He doesn't get a word in reply. Everybody avoids eye contact except for Hondo who simply shakes his head as if to say not now.