nine

Things settle down for the most part after that

Things settle down for the most part after that. Or as settled it can be for a SWAT officer. Athena briefly interacts with the team a few times in the next few weeks but nothing more than passing conversation.

Street thinks that he should invite them all over to properly meet her, hoping for his daughter to bond with his team.

He's in the locker room when he plans to ask them but before he has a chance to, a different opportunity arrives.

"Guys, Annie and I are having a barbecue at the house on Saturday, I expect to see all of you there," Deacon announces.

Street decides that this might be a nice way to make the introductions, plus there's always good food at the Kay house.

"Hey Street, you should bring Athena along if she's up for it," Deac says. Well, that solves the issue of asking Deacon if he can bring her.

"She'll probably say yes but I'll ask anyway."

~~~

"Nope, no way."

"Oh come on, it'll be fun." Athena just shakes her head and collapses onto her bed.

"Not happening."

"Why the hell not?"

"It's going to be so awkward. I don't know how to talk to adults."

"It'll be fine, I promise it won't be as bad as you think." He tries convincing her. "You're my family, but so are they. This is important to me."

Athena sighs and looks up at him, "Okay, I'll go. Only because you asked me to."

Street smiles down at her from where he's sitting on the edge of her bed. "That's my girl. I promise it'll be fun."

"The food better be as good as you always say it is," Athena grumbles, causing her father to chuckle.

"It will be."

~~~

It's a few days later when the time comes for the two to head to the Kay house. Street is finishing up getting dressed when he hears a loud groan from his daughter's room.

"What's wrong honey?" He shouts.

"I have nothing to wear," Athena yells back. Street lets out a laugh at his daughter's dramatics before heading to her room. When he enters, he sees clothing piled up on her bed.

"It might be just me but I see more than enough clothing for you to wear."

She rolls her eyes at him from where she's standing in front of her standing mirror. "It is just you Dad. I have lots of clothes, but I don't know what type of occasion this is so I don't know what to wear."

"I told you, it's just casual."

"Casual doesn't help me. Is it jeans and a t-shirt casual or is it sundress casual?"