12 Years Later

EVELYN

By the time Landon, Max and Carlos got to our house, I had given up on doing anymore clearing out and organisation of Lando's room. I felt like 6 bags of clothing, and 1 helmet was enough for one day. Well, it was enough for a while, I felt like I wouldn't be able to bring myself back into that room for a few weeks at least.

The chaos of boy talk comes flooding through the apartment the minute they walk through the door. Charles eyes me from the other side of the kitchen island bench where we were busy preparing dinner.

"I told you! What did I say? I told you" Landon's chuckle breaks into the room as they all come barrelling in.

"He did tell you, Max" Carlos agrees with whatever they are on about.

"Hi mum" Landon calls out, rushing over to give me a hug as I plant a kiss on the top of his head.

"Sounds like you had a good time" I amuse.

"Uncle Max crashed" Landon chuckles.

"Hey, Evelyn. It's so good to see you" Carlos greets as he rounds the table, giving me a hug.

"You as well, and what do you mean you crashed?" I direct toward Max.

"Carlos, mate, good to see you" Charles exclaims from behind me as Carlos moves past me.

"Well, I bet Uncle Max he couldn't complete the circuit blindfolded" Landon informs, pointing at Max.

"You didn't" I gush.

Max shrugs his shoulders, "It was a dare, I couldn't back down"

"Are you 12?" I accuse with amusement.

"No, but I am" Landon inputs, slapping Carlos' held out hand in appreciation.

"Right, I'm out numbered here. Landon go and wash up and I'll set the table" I instruct.

Landon runs off down the hall as Max, Charles and Carlos get reacquainted.

"He's a really good kid, you've done so well with him" Carlos gushes.

"Thank you, couldn't have done it without these two though" I gesture toward the boys.

"And how have you been, good?" He asks.

I nod my head, "Yeah, I've been good. And you, how's life?"

He shrugs, "Yeah, same old same old. Was nice being back down at the track again"

That makes me smile, "I bet. You all lived there for so long. Makes me wonder how you ever go without it"

We all settle down around the table as the boys dig into the array of food, I've become well equipped knowing how to make for growing men. A bowl of chicken wings and a tray of sausages, overflowing potatoes and minimal vegetables.

Landon forces Carlos to join in the madness of the nightly Mario championships. I've been banished to sit these rounds out.

"Let the men handle this, Mum" Landon mocks as he sets up the steering wheel for Carlos.

"Oh is that right?" I gush.

Leaving them to it, I head off back into the kitchen to clean up from dinner. It warms my heart to hear Landon having so much fun, and I actually feel so content, and I'm okay with that.

Placing down the tea towel, I round the island bench and head down the hallway.

Opening the door to Lando's room, I flick the light on and just, be there.