Chapter 2

Over the years, I dedicated time to sending messages to Gotanda, the director of the movie Ai acted in. He never got back with me, and I had no idea what his home address was, so it wasn't like I could force my mom to drag me places. I contacted Arima Kana, who I recalled the name of when I watched one of his movies. I was posing as a fan, but I never got a response either. I had to pour my all into my studies, my dancing, and my singing. I starred in children's musicals. I continued reaching out to Kana, sending fan mail in hopes that eventually she'd get back with me. I watched Ai's videos avidly. I tracked every movie Gotanda made. I worked harder than I ever did in my first life, but my plans ended up going mostly nowhere when it came to actually contacting Aqua and Ruby. That is, until the day finally came: I got into the same high school as them.

High school in my first life was busy, lonely, and boring. I went to a small town school, and I was the only person who looked different. I was shy and scared, so it was even harder to make friends. Here, things were different. Everyone had something unique about their appearance, and there were thousands of people around.

I scanned the sea of fellow students for a pair of blondes, but I didn't see them anywhere. I thought I saw them at the entrance ceremony from a distance, given all three of us should be first years, but I didn't have the opportunity to find out if it was them because of how quickly they disappeared into the crowd. I had to find them. I'd already wasted twelve years struggling to find connections to them, now had to be my chance to help them and prevent further corruption of their personalities.

I decided maybe they were inside the building now, locating their classrooms. I pivoted toward the massive building from the front courtyard, and moved toward it when someone slammed into me, nearly knocking me off my feet. I steadied myself. "Oh sorry! Are you okay-?" I began, breaking myself off as I stared at the girl before me. Short red hair in a bob, tucked under a beret, and red shining eyes.
"Oh! Sorry! That was totally on me! I was distracted."
"Arima Kana?" I inquired in a dumbfounded voice.
Her eyes narrowed as she took me in. "You recognize me?" she sounded surprised.

"Of course!" I said cheerfully, "I sent you so many letters! I'm a huge fan of your acting and music!"
"My music?" she echoed in evident shock. "You listened to my music?"
"Yes, your singing is so good!" I confirmed, smiling. "I'm Tamaki Yumena. I'm a first year student in the performing arts department. Class..." I checked the paperwork creased in my hand. "1-F."
"Oh really? Do you do acting too?"

"A little, but I'm actually trying to become an idol!" I explained, folding my hands behind my back.
"An idol? That's interesting. You definitely have the looks for it though! Good luck. I'm a second year, so if you need anything, I can show you the ropes!"
"Thank you! Actually, do you mind if I get your LINE?"
Her eyes flickered as she nodded, fumbling for her phone in her bag. "Here," she murmured, showing me her LINE. I extracted my own phone from my uniform pocket, quickly typing it in and adding her. I watched as she nodded. "Got it! Thanks!"

"Yeah. I better find my classroom now, but it was nice to finally meet you." I turned again toward the building.
"Yeah! Oh, wait! One more thing!" Kana called.
I paused in place, glancing over my shoulder and arching an eyebrow at her.
"Thank you. For all the letters to my agency. They meant a lot more than you'll ever know. Sorry I never answered them. I just. Never knew what to say. I felt like...I didn't deserve them. And I was scared I would disappoint you with my sharp tongue, ah-ha-ha," she mumbled stiffly, inspecting the bricks beneath her. She intertwined her index fingers in anticipation of my reaction.

I blinked. So she did get them. She wasn't ignoring me. I smiled again at her. "It's okay. I figured you were probably busy!"
She appeared astonished for a moment before she straightened her posture, grinning. "I was, but I still could have made time for you. I'm glad we got to meet!"
I softened my expression. "I'm glad too."
She waved to me before turning away, heading in the direction of her class. I watched her disappear into the throngs of students before finally entering the building, searching for my class.