Chapter 3

It wasn't long before I found 1-F and entered through the door at the front of the class. I saw a seating arrangement on the blackboard and approached it, locating my name, but then I halted at the sight of the name of the student in the seat in front of mine. Hoshino Ruby.

I sucked in a deep breath, my eyes darting to the seat, and there she was, peering over her textbooks with a thoughtful expression. Ruby and I were in the same class. This has to be fate, I thought, this means I was meant to be part of this story.
I approached my seat by the windows slowly, one step at a time. My heart beat in my chest rapidly as I prepared the words in my head. I had waited twelve years for this moment. Everything else seemed to fade into a haze as I reached her. When she glanced up, I saw what no one else could see: The bright star burning in her left eye. Our eyes met, and she blinked gradually before her pink lips curved into the shape of a smile.

"Hi," I greeted, extending a hand, "I'm Tamaki Yumena. Looks like I'm sitting behind you."
"Hoshino Ruby!" she replied, taking my hand and shaking it, "Nice to meet you!"
"Likewise," I told her, sliding into my seat behind her. "I like your hair," I added, grinning.
"Oh! Thanks! I like yours too! And your eyes. There's something that really stands out about them!" Ruby informed me, glancing over her shoulder as she spoke. Her blonde hair shifted, falling down to her back. "So, are you an actor?"
I shook my head. "I'm actually training to become an idol."

Ruby eyes popped. "No way. Really?"
I nodded. "It's been my dream since I was four."
"I'm trying to become a popular idol too! What agency are you affiliated with?"
"Lilac Music! Since I'm still a minor, I haven't been in major projects yet, but I've been an extra dancer in several music videos."
"That's amazing! I'm with Strawberry Productions!"
"Strawberry Productions? You mean like the ones who managed B Komachi?" I asked, feigning innocence.
"Exactly!" she cooed excitedly.

"I remember what happened to the lead singer, Ai. It was really sad. It's actually what motivated me to be an idol," I told her in a gentle voice.
"I knew her personally," Ruby admitted, a far-off expression on her face, "She was amazing. I want to make her proud by becoming an idol like she was too!"
"Wow. That's amazing. I'm sure you already make her super proud."
Ruby's pinkish-red eyes shimmered. "Thank you so much. That's really kind of you to say." She swallowed. "Uhm. So are you already in an idol group, then?"
I shook my head. "Not yet."

"Really? I'm looking for an idol group to join. I have an audition coming up soon actually!"
"Oh really? Well, good luck!" She won't get it because Aqua will sabotage it.
"Thanks! Do you want their contact info to see if they're still scouting?"
"Sure!" I won't contact them.
"Ah, I'm so glad I met another idol! You definitely have the cute look of one! You'll get tons of fans!" Ruby said enthusiastically while going through her phone.
"You will too! You're so pretty!" I informed her, beaming as I pulled out my own phone.
"Aw, thank you! Okay. Here's their contact info!" Ruby read off the number to me, and I added it to my contacts. I'll delete it later. "Oh. I'm silly. Do you want my number too? You have to tell me if they contact you!"
I blinked. Wow, getting her contact information is concerningly easy. It took twelve years of letters to get Kana's. "Yes, I'd be glad to get it."

"Great!" She quickly rattled her phone number to me, and I inputted it into my phone under Ruby. I couldn't believe my luck. I met Ruby maybe in time to protect her from completely losing herself, but Aqua was another story. How the hell was I going to get through to him?
When I caught my reflection in my phone, I realized there was something different. Overlapping my pupils, a star glowed in each of my eyes.