Chapter 11

It was opening night of the Tokyo Blade play, and Ruby couldn’t wait. She had picked out four different outfits already for her to wear and texted Yumena images of each to see which was her favorite. The pink dress is best, was Yumena’s reply, it really brings out your eyes! Ruby squealed, rolling over in her bed and kicking her feet. She had barely spent any time with Aqua lately. She still saw Kana and Yumena at idol practices and for their YouTube video shoots, but she never got to hang out with them much anymore. She was excited to see the production of what her loved ones had been working so hard on for the past few months, especially with all the last minute changes to the script. 

“What are you squeaking about? Are you almost ready?” Miyako’s voice queried from somewhere else within the apartment. 

“Yes!” Ruby called as her phone beeped. She checked it, seeing an image of Yumena with her stage makeup on and in costume, followed up by a photo of Aqua talking to Kana and Akane, who were also in costume. They all looked vivid and incredible, but her eyes honed in on Yumena’s face, and a warmth spread to her cheeks. You guys look amazing! Can’t wait to see you all on stage! Ruby texted, kicking her feet again and saving the picture of Yumena to her phone like she did with all the selfies Yumena sent her. 

“Alright, let’s try to get there a little early!” Miyako yelled, sounding closer this time. 

“Okay!” Ruby said, hopping to her feet and stuffing her phone in her purse, flicking the light to her room off before heading into the living room. “I haven’t seen Yumena in person other than in class and for our YouTube in two weeks!” 

“Yes, you’ve mentioned that,” Miyako sighed, “Okay, do I look okay? Is this nice enough for a play?” 

“You look great!” Ruby cheered. Miyako always looked beautiful, even for her age. 

“And you look cute and lovely. Let’s go then, alright?” 

“Mhm!” 

The ride to the theater was uneventful. The parking lot was already filling up, but fortunately everyone already had to get their parking spots with their tickets, so there would be no fighting with finding a place to park. They found their assigned parking and got out of the car, making their way into the commons, waiting for the auditorium to open up. Ruby recognized the director Gotanda that mentored Aqua, and she waved at him. He approached the two of them, waving back. 

“Hi, Ruby, how have you been?” he greeted, smiling slightly. He smelled like fresh cigarette smoke. 

“Good!” Ruby replied, “And you?” 

“Aqua invited you too, then?” Miyako asked. 

“I’m well, and yes, he did. I believe we’re all seated together,” Gotanda replied, rolling his shoulders in discomfort in his suit. 

“Yes,” Miyako agreed. 

“Oh!” Ruby cried, pointing to a familiar silhouette in the crowd forming outside the auditorium, and she wove her way through the throngs of people until she arrived beside him. “Nakamura-sensei! You’re here!” 

Nakamura, dressed in a tuxedo with his hair gelled back, turned and smiled at Ruby. “Hoshino-san! Good to see you.” 

“Did Yumena invite you?” Ruby queried.

“Ah. Not explicitly. I thought I might support her anyway as a surprise!” Nakamura said. 

“Oh! That’s so nice!” she enthused, smiling. “I’m sure she’ll be glad you came.” 

Nakamura nodded. “Looks like they’re opening the auditorium now, let’s head in and find our seats.” He gestured toward the opening doors. 

Ruby rejoined Miyako and Gotanda.