1: A Night to Remember

Darlin always had a talent for dancing, one even Heinrich is forced to acknowledge.

It's not gentlemanly to stare at your partner during a dance, but it was somewhat accepted in high society that when your partner is Darlin Rayne, you can't really help yourself.

Contrarily, Darlin keeps to the rules of etiquette and does not spare her partner a glance unless they are speaking.

Heinrich finds her boring most days, but not when they're dancing, because Darlin is more than appealing when she dances.

Even as her partner, Heinrich felt like any other onlooker observing her bloom splendidly on the dance floor.

His hand on the middle of her back could feel the fluidity of her movements. Her steps were light, yet purposeful, and her eyes... Heinrich gulped. Darlin's rich, ruby red eyes always seem to be in a haze, one so thick nothing and no one can reflect in them.

Coupled with her perfunctory smile, Heinrich finds himself unnerved by them most times, but, sometimes, like when he dips her, he dares say they're a little enamoring.

A dip is the only time Heinrich is moved to please Darlin. Theirs is done differently than normal. Heinrich does not guide her into it, for that's no fun for Darlin. He merely positions himself and she takes the plunge all on her own.

Darlin's smile is different, it's beautiful and heart wrenching at the same time. She's excited by the fall, eager to plummet. Her eyes will narrow in bliss, and the moment she lands in his arms, her smile turns devilish, the outer corners of her eyes curving mischievously.

Oh... Heinrich realizes, she's been leading. Darlin always takes control without him noticing until it's over.

As soon as they are apart and off the dance floor, fellow graduates swarm them.

"You've somehow become even more elegant, Lady Darlin!"

"As expected of our valedictorian!"

"Sir Heinrich was also charming~!"

"Oh dear, are you alright, Sir Heinrich?"

Heinrich's cheeks are an obvious red, his breaths slightly labored.

Fucking weakling. Darlin hides her curled lips behind her fan. She used the perfume lightly, but Heinrich had taken more alcohol than she anticipated, making him more susceptible to the aphrodisiacal effects of the combination.

"Heinrich?" Knowing her importance to him, the people around Heinrich part to reveal a beautiful maiden no different from butterflies and honey. Her soft blond hair is littered with small, jeweled flowers, and her big pink eyes regard her sister's fiancé worriedly. "Are you feeling alright?"

"Flora..." The softness with which he calls her name, the heat in his eyes, makes one wonder whom Heinrich is actually engaged to.

Darlin barely keeps from rolling her eyes. At this point it is common, though silently spoken, knowledge in high society that her fiancé holds special feelings for Flora, and Darlin is simply the more suitable candidate chosen by his parents.

Let's end this farce, shall we? With a laugh, Darlin draws attention to herself, "It seems Sir Heinrich went a little heavy on the drinks now that we have come of age. Dear Sir, might I suggest getting some air on the balcony?"

Heinrich nods, and just as he turns, Flora latches onto his arm. "I-I'll go with you!" Realizing how untoward she's being with her future brother-in-law, she steps back, a cute blush spreading over her fair face. "I— Ahem! Just to make sure nothing happens to Heinrich... in his drunken state..."