14: Here Comes the Bride (II)

"My oh my, there is no doubt who the parents of the bride are!" Darlin praises as she descends the staircase.

Howard spent a pretty penny having matching outfits made on such short notice.

He wears a wine purple suit with a white, lace cravat so thick his chest resembles a chicken's breasts.

Isabelle is clad in a purple, trumpet style dress with long, off shoulder sleeves, and a short, white, lace cape over her shoulders, pinned between her collarbones by amethyst cased in silver.

He thought himself and Isabelle look particularly dashing today, yet the one who steals the show is Darlin.

The usually demure daughter of Rayne is a breathtaking embodiment of sweet spring in her sparkling peach dress, and matching lace opera gloves. Her makeup is sparse, yet fine enough to accentuate her best features, her white hair curled into ringlets and held off her face by a gold string tied into a bow.

"D-Darlin?" Howard frowns. Was she always this beautiful...?

Isabelle, Cara, Marin, and the other servants could barely believe their eyes either.

Their awe is actually a little insulting, but Darlin remains understanding. Collette, could you be some sort of fairy godmother?

If Collette could hear Darlin's thoughts she'd be wracked with guilt because she really didn't do much.

To begin with, Darlin hardly uses makeup or unnecessary cosmetics, and almost all her clothes are plain— some even being repurposed pieces or secondhand.

While the record will show she's purchased better clothes, makeup, and cosmetics, Darlin actually only owns a handful and reserves them for special occasions.

Furthermore, all her mind and heart has been consistently poured into her vengeful, step by step plan.

And for today, Darlin won't scheme. Her only purpose for today is to reach up and grasp the fruit of her labor. She will reap at last.

Her smile is dazzling, red eyes burning like a fuse. "Shall we be on our way?"

"Oh my, they're really here!"

Wicked mouths wag their tongues as soon as the three Raynes enter the garden after handing their gifts off to the designated help.

"How brave..."

"It is their daughter's wedding, after all."

"If my child did such a shameless thing I would be too dead to attend any so-called wedding!"

"Countess Gretchen was right about them having a favorite..."

"That girl is not even born from the legal wife!"

"Does she have no dignity as a mother?"

"The Earl let his mistress' child smear his judgement..."

"Even though Lady Darlin is without flaw?"

"What a pitiful thing she is."

"Everything is going awry because of their bastard!"

"Shush, not so loud...!"

"I say, it's ridiculous! This is not what the Duke and Duchess promised!"

The only one who did not fold under the gossip is Darlin. Rather, she thrives in it.

While it'd be nice to leave her parents out to dry in the scorn, "Mother, father," Darlin wanted to get into position for Flora. "how about we take our seats?"