1

CHAPTER 1

SOPHIA’S POV

I have waited almost four years for this day, the day I would receive an email from UCLA to know if I would be accepted into UCLA, moving to California has not always been my dream and let’s not forget UCLA isn’t some sort of ivy leaguer school one would be excited to go.

But I had my reasons.

"So, you won't believe it, Kylie. Four o'clock can't come soon enough," I blurted out, my excitement bubbling over as I plopped down in the library chair opposite her. I was not just excited but also anxious as I knew all that would be at stake if I didn’t get accepted. 

Kylie glanced up from her book, raising an eyebrow. "Okay, spill. What's got you counting the minutes?"

I leaned in, unable to contain myself. "The email, Kylie. The email from the school that would determine my future. I'm freaking out, honestly."

Kylie closed her book, a bemused smile tugging at her lips. "Wait, slow down. Email from who? And why are you freaking out? I thought you already got all the email that you were waiting for"

I clasped my hands together, my anticipation almost tangible. "From UCLA. Remember that email I sent? They are going to reply me today and this would determine my future, especially that of I and Henry."

Kylie's eyes widened. "Henry? Oh my god, the Henry? Like your dad's best friend, Henry?"

I nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, that Henry."

She leaned back, her expression a mix of disbelief and amusement. "You're nuts, Sophia. Seriously, nuts."

"Hey, watch it!" I playfully nudged her. "It's not like you've never been a little crazy."

Kylie let out a dramatic sigh. "Fine, you got me there."

"Anyway, don't tell anyone, but guess what?" I couldn't hold it in any longer. "I got into Harvard and Brown!"

Kylie's eyes widened even more, “Are you freaking kidding me, you got into two Ivy league,”

"Lower your voice! Do you want the whole library to know?"

She blinked innocently. "Oops, my bad."

“I don’t want anyone to know about it,”

Kylie shook her head, exasperation and amusement warring on her face. "You're something else, Sophia. First, you're freaking out about an email that will determine your so-called future with a man twice your age, and now you casually drop that you got into Harvard and Brown like it's no big deal."

I grinned unabashedly. "It's not, really. I mean, they're just Ivy League schools."

Kylie stared at me incredulously. "Just Ivy League schools? Oh my god, you're hopeless."

I shrugged, relishing in her disbelief. "Hey, I can't help it if I'm smart and Ivy League-worthy. " I teased and she gaze at me getting humor and she had also gotten into Yale but she was more excited than I am. 

Kylie sighed. "You're a piece of work. Did you at least tell your dad?"

My grin faltered, and I shook my head. "Actually, I told him I got rejected."

Kylie's eyes practically popped out of her head. "You did what?"

I winced, feeling a tad guilty. "I had my reasons."