40

CHAPTER 40

HENRY’S POV

As I drove Layla home, a heavy silence hung in the air between us. The truth was looming, waiting to be addressed, and I couldn't evade it forever. Layla, sitting beside me, finally mustered the courage to ask the question that had been haunting her.

"Henry," she began tentatively, "is Sophia the one you have feelings for?"

I hesitated, my grip tightening on the steering wheel. There was no use in pretending anymore. "Yes," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper.

Layla let out a sigh, her frustration evident. "Henry, why would you be dating a girl half your age and, to make it worse, your best friend's daughter?"

I sighed, struggling to find the right words to explain the complexity of my feelings. "Layla, it's not that simple. I didn't plan for any of this to happen."

She raised an eyebrow, clearly skeptical. "Come on, Henry. You can't just chalk this up to fate or coincidence. It's not like you to be with someone so much younger."

I knew she had a point, but I couldn't deny the undeniable pull Sophia had on my heart. "I tried to fight it, Layla. I really did. But the feelings I have for her... they're strong. I can't just ignore them."

Layla shook her head, her frustration bubbling over. "Bullshit, Henry. You've always been attracted to younger women. This isn't about love; it's about something else."

My jaw clenched at her accusation. "That's not fair, Layla. You don't understand what it's like."

She turned to me, her eyes burning with intensity. "Then make me understand, Henry. Explain to me why you're risking everything for this."

I sighed, my gaze fixed on the road ahead. "Sophia is not just any girl, Layla. She's smart, funny, and caring. She's mature beyond her years, and we connect on a level I can't explain."

Layla folded her arms, clearly not convinced. "Henry, you've always been a bit impulsive. Are you sure this isn't just another impulsive decision?"

I felt a surge of frustration. "This is different, Layla. I've never felt this way about anyone before. Sophia... she's the exception."

Layla's skepticism remained, and she leaned back in her seat, her arms still crossed. "Henry, you have a lot to lose. Your friendship with Collins, your reputation... Is this really worth it?"

I bit my lip, grappling with the gravity of her words. Layla was right; this wasn't just about my feelings. It was about the consequences, the potential fallout from pursuing something that defied societal norms.

But as I glanced at the road ahead, my thoughts inevitably drifted back to Sophia. The way she made me feel, the connection we shared... It was a force I couldn't reckon with, no matter how hard I tried.

"Layla," I finally said, my voice heavy with resignation, "I know the risks, and I'm willing to face them. Sophia means everything to me, and I can't just walk away from this."

Layla's expression softened, her eyes filled with a mix of concern and understanding. "Henry, I just don't want to see you get hurt."

I appreciated her concern, but I also knew that sometimes, in matters of the heart, the path forward was unclear. 

Layla's question hung heavily in the air, lingering like a storm cloud on the horizon. "Henry, have you ever thought that maybe Sophia's feelings for you are just a fling? What will you do if she leaves you?"

I gripped the steering wheel tighter, my knuckles turning white. It was a question that had haunted me, one that I pushed to the back of my mind, hoping it would never come to the surface. But Layla had a way of getting to the heart of the matter, of forcing me to confront my deepest fears.