15

CHAPTER 15

Henry’s POV

I sat in my office, my mind swirling with thoughts of Sophia. It had only been a short time since she arrived, and already my resolve was being put to the test. The incident in the kitchen this morning was still fresh in my mind, and I couldn't help but replay the scene over and over again.

I am going to make sure that I stop whatever potential trouble before it happens.

Sophia was getting to my head and i Couldn’t let that, that wasn’t what I wanted.

Lynda's voice broke through my thoughts, her tone curious and concerned. "Hey, what's going on? You seemed more distracted than usual at the board meeting today." Today’s meeting was exceptionally boring but that wasn’t all that was wrong with the world I was also dealing with my issues with Sophia.

I sighed and leaned back in my chair, rubbing my temples. "It's just... It's so hard, Lynda." I confessed, if there is someone that I could let in on all my thoughts that person would be Lynda, she has this non-judgemental approach towards things and I could always count on her discretion.

She raised an eyebrow, her interest piqued. "What's hard? Henry, you're not making much sense."

I took a deep breath and decided to confide in her. "It's Sophia. The girl living with me now, it is not like you don’t know that but I thought,” I trailed off, realizing I was just blabbing and half of my thoughts right now was incoherant. We had this moment in the kitchen this morning, and I almost... I almost kissed her."

Lynda's scowl was immediate, and she didn't hold back her judgment. "What were you thinking, Henry? Getting that close to her? Do you realize the message that sends?"

Of course I knew the kind of signal I was sending.

I shook my head, feeling a mixture of embarrassment and frustration. "I didn't mean for it to happen. We were just cooking breakfast together, and things got... intense."

She chuckled, a teasing glint in her eyes. "Cooking breakfast together? Since when do you cook?"

I rolled my eyes at her remark. "Okay, fine. I don't usually cook, but I thought it would be a nice gesture. And now I'm regretting it." now that I think of it, part of me wanted to please her that is why I was ropped into cooking for her.

Lynda leaned against my desk, her expression serious. "Henry, cooking together is something couples do. You need to be careful. You're not even sure about her intentions yet. What if she's not over that mini crush she had on you?"

Now she was sounding like my mum and I have not had a mum in more than two decade.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "I know, Lynda. It was a mistake. I should have been more cautious. I just... I don't want things to get complicated."

She nodded in agreement. "Exactly. You're her guardian now, and you need to establish boundaries. Don't let things get blurry."

The word boundary is one I have been struggling with, I am good with boundary but lately all the boundary I have been trying to establish with Sophia has been null and void

I nodded, feeling a mix of gratitude and frustration for her straightforward advice. "You're right. I messed up. I'll be more careful from now on."

Lynda gave me a reassuring smile. "Hey, it happens. Just remember, you're in charge here. And if you want things to go smoothly, you need to keep a clear head."

I leaned back in my chair, feeling a sense of determination settling in. "You're right, Lynda. Thanks for setting me straight."

She winked at me. "Anytime, boss. Now, get back to work and keep your focus."

I couldn't let myself get swept away by emotions or impulses. This was my house, my rules, and I needed to ensure that things didn't get out of hand. As challenging as it was, I was determined to keep things under control and maintain a sense of professionalism.

Lynda leaned against my desk, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "You know, a few of our friends are getting together for dinner tonight. You should totally come, Henry."

I shook my head with a chuckle. "I don't know, Lynda. I'm not really in the mood for those dinner gatherings."

She waved a dismissive hand. "Oh, come on! You can't hide in your work forever. Besides, it'll be fun."

I raised an eyebrow skeptically. "Fun, huh? You mean the kind of fun where everyone talks about their marital problems and dirty secrets all night?"

Lynda laughed heartily, her laughter filling the room. "Well, not all of us are married or in relationships, you know. I'm single too, and I still go. It's not a crime to be unattached."

I sighed, realizing she had a point. "I just feel out of place in those situations. I don't have a spouse to complain about or secrets to spill."

She placed a hand on my shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "Henry, you can't isolate yourself just because you're single. You have a lot to offer in conversations, and besides, it's a chance to unwind and have some fun."

I chuckled, shaking my head. "You always know how to convince me, Lynda."

She grinned mischievously. "That's why I'm here, boss."

Before I knew it, I pulled her into a hug, feeling a sense of gratitude for her friendship and her ability to push me out of my comfort zone. "What would I do without you, Lynda?"

Just as I pulled away from the hug, I noticed movement at the door. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Sophia standing there, her eyes wide with surprise. I quickly let go of Lynda, my face flushing slightly. "Sophia!"

Lynda turned to look at her too, her expression playful. "Oh, look who's here. We were just discussing the dinner tonight."

Sophia's cheeks turned a faint shade of pink, and she cleared her throat. "Sorry to interrupt. I didn't mean to eavesdrop."

I shook my head, trying to regain my composure. "No need to apologize. We were just wrapping up the conversation."

Lynda winked at me before turning to Sophia. "So, Sophia, are you joining us tonight?"