49

CHAPTER 49

SOPHIA

The park seemed like a suitable place for a date—serene, with a gentle breeze stirring the leaves. Lucas was talking animatedly about his classes, blissfully unaware of the turmoil raging inside me. That's when the message arrived.

A photo of Lucas and me, taken from a discreet distance, accompanied by a message: "Caught in the act." The sender wasn't shy about it; they had copied Henry's email, ensuring he got front-row seats to my little drama.

My heart sank as Henry's call came through. "Where are you, Sophia?"

"In the park," I mumbled, glancing around nervously.

"I'll be right there."

His voice had an edge, a tone that hinted at trouble. As I waited, guilt gnawed at me. I knew I had messed up big time.

When Henry arrived, his expression was a mix of disappointment and anger. "Care to explain?" he demanded, arms crossed.

I took a deep breath, attempting to gather the words to justify my actions. "Henry, I... I wasn't sure about us when Lucas asked me out. I thought maybe we were just friends, and I didn't want to turn down a potential date. I didn't mean for it to get this complicated."

Henry's jaw clenched, and I could see the storm brewing in his eyes. "Sophia, you can't just play with people's feelings like that. You lied to me, to us."

I looked down, the weight of my actions pressing on me. "I know, and I'm sorry. I didn't expect things to get so messy."

He paced a few steps, frustration evident in every movement. "Messy? You're on a date with another guy, and you call it messy?"

Lucas, sensing the tension, excused himself, leaving us alone in the fading daylight.

"Henry, can we talk about this?" I pleaded.

He turned to face me, his gaze piercing. "Talk? What's left to say, Sophia? You've been dishonest."

"I didn't plan for things to unfold like this. I like you, Henry, but I wasn't sure if you felt the same way."

His laughter was bitter. "So, what? You thought going on a date with someone else would clarify your feelings?"

I winced, realizing the flaw in my logic. "I messed up, Henry. I should've been honest from the beginning. I'm sorry."

He ran a hand through his hair, frustration evident in the lines etched on his forehead. "Sorry isn't going to fix this, Sophia. You need to figure out what you want."

Anger bubbled within me. "And what about you, Henry? Did you never date or even think about it before us?"

He sighed, the weariness in his voice. "This is different, Sophia. We're not just two people dating. We're tangled in a mess of friendships, loyalties, and expectations."

The words hung in the air, a stark reminder of the complexities surrounding us. "I care about you, Sophia, but I can't be a part of a game."

I fought back tears, frustrated with myself and the mess I had created. "Henry, I—"

"Get in the car," he interrupted, his tone final.

The car ride was suffocating, silence punctuated only by the distant sounds of the city. The air between us crackled with unspoken words, each of us grappling with the reality of the situation.

As the car pulled up to my apartment, I hesitated before getting out. "Henry, can we—"

"Not now, Sophia," he cut me off, his eyes weary. "I need some time to figure this out."