45

CHAPTER 45 

SOPHIA’S POV

I sauntered into the dining room, still rubbing the sleep from my eyes, when I was greeted by the smell of freshly brewed coffee and the sight of Henry flipping through a stack of papers. The morning sun streamed in, casting a warm glow over everything.

"What's got you so busy this early?" I asked, eyeing the papers scattered on the table.

Henry looked up, a smile playing on his lips. "Morning, sleepyhead. I've been going through some work stuff."

I raised an eyebrow, feigning innocence. "Work stuff, huh? Trying to impress someone with your diligence?"

He chuckled. "Maybe. Or maybe someone convinced me that having a focused morning routine is the key to success."

I grinned, taking a seat across from him. "Well, someone sounds wise beyond his years."

Henry leaned back, his eyes sparkling. "You know it. Speaking of work, there's something I wanted to talk to you about."

I leaned in, intrigued. "Oh? Do tell."

He set the papers aside and locked eyes with me. "I've been thinking, and I've decided to let you intern at my company."

My eyes widened in surprise. "Seriously? You're not pulling my leg?"

He nodded, a hint of seriousness in his gaze. "Seriously. But, and there's always a 'but,' we need to establish some ground rules."

I crossed my arms, feigning offense. "Ground rules? I thought this was a no-rules kind of relationship."

He smirked. "In love, yes. In the workplace, we need a bit more structure."

I sighed dramatically. "Fine, lay 'em on me. What are these ground rules?"

Henry leaned in, his tone serious. "First, when we're at work, we're coworkers. No distracting each other with googly eyes and secret smiles."

I tilted my head, pretending to ponder the rule. "Googly eyes and secret smiles? That sounds like a fun workplace."

He chuckled. "Fun, yes, but not very productive. Rule number two, no discussing personal matters during work hours."

I raised an eyebrow. "Not even if I have an urgent need to discuss the latest episode of our favorite show?"

He smirked. "Especially not then. We need to maintain a professional environment."

I sighed dramatically again. "So, no workplace gossip about our favorite TV characters. Got it."

He nodded. "Exactly. And rule number three, when we leave the office, we leave work behind. No carrying it into our personal time."

I grinned. "So, no late-night strategy sessions over dinner?"

Henry smirked. "Nope. We save that for the boardroom."

I pretended to pout. "You're taking all the fun out of it."

He leaned in, a playful glint in his eyes. "We'll find other ways to have fun, I promise."

I raised an eyebrow, a mischievous smile forming. "Oh, really? I can't wait to see what you have in mind."

Henry leaned back, a satisfied smile on his face. "Well, those are the rules. Take it or leave it."

I pretended to consider it, then leaned in, whispering, "I suppose I can abide by those rules, Mr. Professional."

He grinned. "Good. Now that that's settled, there's one more thing I wanted to do."