chapter thirteen

╭──────༺♡༻──────╮
we'll be a fine line
╰──────༺♡༻──────╯

ılı.lıllılıı.ıllı
ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ
[ It's My Party - Lesley Gore]
2:08 ━━━━◉─────── 4:02
◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹

THE SUMMER HEAT WAS CRUEL. It made Valentina irritated and agitated. Surf was taking up most of her days. They were having really amazing swells lately and it felt nice to be back in the water.

She felt so carefree, not worrying about anything else other than the board under her and the great waves rolling towards her. She was rusty at first, she needed to get her flow back but once she had, she was good. More than good, she was great. Surfing was her pride and joy, it was something that she held dear to her heart. The commitment, dedication and pride drove her to be amazing.

"How was it?" Lydia asked. Valentina walked into the house, her board in hand. Hair sopping wet.

"Bien. El oleaje estaba muy fuerte, no pude entrar." She grumbled annoyed.

Lydia hummed in sympathy. "Que vas hacer para tu cumple años?"

"Uh, I don't know. We can go out I guess." she shrugged. Her birthday was in a few days and none of her friends mentioned anything to her when she brought it up to them so she just assumed that she'd spend the day with her aunt.

"Y Alice? No va venir?" Lydia asked curiously, knowing that Alice stayed with them for a few days every summer, she found it strange that she wasn't there already.

"No se, Tia. She hasn't said anything. I told her to come over the last time I talked to her."

"How is it going with Santiago?"

"You know that translates to Saint James right?" Valentina snickered. "He's good. He's really, really good. I mean, he convinced his parents to get a phone line so we could talk so I think he's committed." She laughed.

"Yo le voy a decir Santiago. James no me sale bien." Lydia wrinkled her nose, her accent so strong that she couldn't pronounce his name properly. "He likes you a lot then, huh?"

"Yeah," she said softly, thinking about her boyfriend who she misses so. "Tia, are you upset about Christmas? I-I can't stop thinking about it and how horribly I reacted. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for the things I said and the fact that I left without telling you. I'm sorry for ruining what could have been a really important reunion for you."

Lydia sighed, rubbing her eyes harshly, "It's okay. I shouldn't have let them in. And you were right anyway. Before they left they asked me for money again. I just–" he voice began to crack, "I just wish that she had come here to see us." Lydia wiped the stray tear.

Valentina frowned and moved to hug her aunt tightly. "I love you so much Tia."

"I love you too."

"Valentina!"

Valentina covered her face with the duvet, wanting to block out the noise that disturbed her deep sleep. It was far too early for a wake up call. She groaned heavily when someone threw her door open, hitting it against the wall.

"WAKE UP!"

Alice threw herself on top of her best friend, shaking her awake. "It's your birthday, wake up Valentina!" Alice said excitedly.

"Alice!" Valentina laughed, sitting up to hug her. "What are you doing here! You bitch you said you wouldn't be in town!" She hit her friend's arm.

"I lied." she said bluntly. "How could I miss your seventeenth birthday! You're seventeen Val! You can do magic and you're a legal adult in the wizarding world. Isn't that so great!" she squealed, standing up.