21.

Adhiraj Singhania

"Mahira, please sit down. You don't have to do all of this yourself," I heard my wife say.

"It's okay, badi-maa." Mahira smiles at Zaira. This girl always works so much, even if we tell her not to. We're really fortunate to have a daughter-in-law like her.

"Sit down, Mahira," I told her firmly.

There is no need to do all of this; we have people to do it. She is family; if anyone wants anything, then they have hands, don't they?

She finally sits down next to Rishabh, who passed her a plate of food.

"Abhi and Myra are not back yet," Shyam said worriedly.

I glanced at my watch. They're late.

"Vihaan, call him." He ordered his son.

It's almost nine in the evening, and both of them are still out. I told him to be back before dinner. Even if he decides to eat outside, he should still be back by this time.

Vihaan tries calling him a few times, but he doesn't pick up. Worry started filling up inside me as I thought of both my children.

"He isn't answering," Vihaan said.

Footsteps resonated across the room as we saw Abhimanyu and Myra approaching the table. Abhimanyu has held her hand firmly, making me smile internally.

"Where were you both?" I asked strictly, looking at Abhimanyu.

From my peripheral vision, I saw Amayra clutching Abhimanyu's hand tightly.

Shit! Am I scaring her?

"I mean, you should be back a long time before," I coughed, and I tried to speak in a softer voice.

Abhimanyu cleared his throat lightly. "I took Amayra out for dinner. I didn't realise the time," he said in a hoarse voice.

I didn't fail to observe the redness of his eyes and traces of dried tears on Amayra's cheeks.

My heart clenched looking at her. She's suffering, and it's all my fault. Guilt resurfaced in my mind as I dismissed them with a wave of my hand.

"Something's wrong," I heard my mother say quietly as both of them went upstairs.

Nobody decided to answer her, though.

***

Abhimanyu Singhania

I sighed for the umpteenth time. Amayra was asleep soundly on the bed while I opted for the couch. When I learned that she was having problems sleeping, I consulted her doctor, and she decided to prescribe her some sleeping tablets.

I make sure she takes one every night.

My mind wandered back to the words she spoke to me. She's hurting, and I can't help her. Various thoughts flooded my mind until my eyes finally succumbed to the darkness.

I need to help her slowly and patiently.

***