Back at the Rengoku's

Haku had finally arrived back at the Rengoku household. She had been on the back of various Kekkaishi all day and just wanted to sleep. She stretched her stiff muscles and headed to the door of the estate. She lifted her hand to knock on the door, but the door flew open and a pair of familiar arms grabbed her. She hugged back. "Glad to see you Kyojuro." Rengoku held her tighter. "I was very concerned when I heard you vanished. Where were you?" Haku felt tears prick in her eyes and she buried her face into Rengoku. "It's such a long story." Rengoku cupped her face and wiped the tears. "And I will listen. Come." Rengoku led Haku inside where they sat down and had tea while Haku told him everything that happened, from Akaza kidnapping her to the swordsmith village. Rengoku listened intently. He seemed a bit perturbed by the way Haku spoke of Akaza. It made sense given the demon was bent on killing him not too long ago. Haku, however, knew all about his past and true character which still came through in his demon form. He had also wanted to protect her from Muzan. The fireworks were wonderful as well. Haku really liked Rengoku, but her heart also pulled to Akaza. What is love? She thought about that dumb song from her world. Rengoku poked her cheek. "Lost in thought I see." Haku rubbed the poked cheek. "Sorry. A Lot has happened in a short time. And I'm sure Muzan will make a move soon." Rengoku folded his arm. "We will be ready. Many of the slayers are undergoing pillar training. We will as well." Haku smiled. She would be glad to see the other hashira again. "What about Uzui? He retired and all." Rengoku closed his eyes a moment. "He is doing his own training and promised to come if need be. Father is also training." Haku spat out tea and Rengoku laughed. "It seems someone may have lit the preverbal fire under him." Haku blushed, a little embarrassed. She had cross words with him, but she figured all she did was piss him off. She was happy to hear two flame hashira would be helping out. Muzan and the others stood no chance. Hopefully everyone would survive.

Haku sat and chatted with Rengoku till dark. They then all gathered around the table for dinner, Shinjuro included. Haku sat across from him and tried to avoid eye contact at first. Shinjuro laughed amused. "Look kid. I'm not holding a grudge or anything. I should be thanking you. You helped me see how lost I was." Haku felt a tear prick at the edge of her eyes. She smiled big at Shinjuro. "I am glad. Glad the Rengoku family can come together again. Happy to be back too." Shinjuro looked at Haku and almost blushed. She was quite beautiful. He looked at his eldest son. "When I met your mother, I knew I had to make my move or she'd end up with someone else. Keep that in mind." Haku glanced at Kyojuro to see he was deadlocked onto her. She stopped looking and ate quickly. When she was finished, she rushed to the kitchen to wash her dishes. She was just finishing when she felt arms wrap around her from behind. Kyojuro pulled her to his chest. She stared into the sink red as a tomato as his breath tickled her ear as he spoke. "I will not push the matter, given we may not live much longer, but I want you to know I am in love with you. You can answer after all of this is over." He then let go and was gone before Haku could turn around.

Haku lay in bed unable to sleep. She had not expected Kyojuro to be so forward. She buried her face under her blanket blushing until a familiar voice jolted her out of bed. "Why so embarrassed. I only just got here." Akaza teased. Haku had already grasped her sword and was ready to fight. Akaza waved his hand. "I'm not here to fight anyone. Just talk." Haku stared at him a moment then sat down, lacing her sword beside her. "What do you want to talk about Akaza? I won't come quietly if that's your aim." Akaza looked a little hurt for a moment. "Not that wither. The Kamado girl is in the process of being returned to human no? Because of your blood." He paused for a moment, trying to find the words. "I-I don't want to become human again. I frankly don't deserve it, but I would like to be free of Muzan." Haku's eyes widened. It was possible. Tamayo and Nezuko were proof. How would she do it though? Would her blood be enough? "What would you do if I freed you?" Haku wanted to know his motives. Akaza moved closer to Haku and touched her hair. "Stay with you. Protect you from Muzan. Then....." He trailed off. After a long silence he released Haku's hair. "I can smell you, you know?" Akaza looked at the door and it slid open. Kyojuro came in, his sword in hand. Haku immediately jumped up and stood between the two. "Please don't!" Kyojuro looked at Haku a little hurt that she would protect Akaza. Akaza sighed. "I told you I wasn't here to fight. I'm a man of my word if anything." Haku looked at Akaza with relief then back to Kyojuro with pleading eyes. He stared back hard then relaxed his stance. "Alright. But only because I;m not confident I can protect Haku alone. You were adversary enough and there are those stronger than you." Akaza looked a little pleased to be praised. Haku let out a breath of relief. She then moved to her sword. She cut along her wrist, and both Akaza and Kyojuro jumped forward trying to stop her.Blue blood pooled out of her arm and Akaza almost drooled. It smelled so sweet. She held her arm out to Akaza. "Enough of my blood may do it. But you could also die." Akaza narrowed his eyes. "You know I don't eat women." Kyojuro acknowledged that statement with a hum of approval. Haku moved towards Akaza. "It's not eating me, it's simply some blood and it's the only way. Nezuko is a bit special and Tamayo got lucky and broke free when Muzan almost died." Akaza stared at her disgusted for a moment then spat. "Fine. If it's the only way." He reluctantly took her wrist and put it to his lips. His eyes widened when he tasted it. Sweet as honey, intoxicating like sake. He drank greedily despite his reluctance. After a while he stopped. Haku was looking pale and he felt strange. He quickly jumped out the window. Kyojuro came forward and pressed a cloth to Haku's wrist, pulling her close to himself. Akaza stared up at the moon. He could not feel the tendrils of Muzan anymore. He looked in the window at Haku and smiled. "I'll be in the shadows for now." He then vanished. Kyojuro got busy bandaging Haku's wound. He did not say much, but looked disapproving. "Kyojuro, he's really not that bad. He never even wanted to be a demon." The flame hashira looked at Haku. An upper moon a nonconsenting demon? Seemed far fetched, but he honestly did not know everything about becoming one. He finished wrapping Haku's wound and led her to bed. He gently tucked her into her futon. "I will send word to Oyakata-sama. Sleep well." With that he left the room.