Chap 16 - Shatter the Diamonds

'The lone survivor from that deadly survival test. Is that. . . him?'

Klaus knelt on one knee, observing Yuno catching his breath in front of their enemy, who was none other than Mars, one of the eight Shining Generals from the Diamond Kingdom and the sole survivor of the deadly test.

Klaus tightened his grip on his fist and narrowed his eyes, his teeth clenched in frustration. "Whoever he is, this situation is spiraling out of control! How can this be happening? I'm a noble, a member of the elite Golden Dawn."

He glanced towards Mimosa while thinking. 'One alley has already fallen by him. One commoner hasn't arrived yet, nor I'm sure if she will. And the other is trying to protect me.'

Klaus grunted, "This is unacceptable! I won't allow this travesty to continue!" He exclaimed and launched his spiral lance spell at Mars.

"Wait, Klaus Sir!"

The attack went in vain as Mars created a mineral magic clone that intercepted the strike. He then lunged at Klaus with a drawback punch, but Klaus managed to defend himself by erecting a steel wall.

"That was close." Yuno muttered, refocusing on the enemy who now had a massive sword hovering above him.

The sword descended toward Yuno, but he swiftly evaded it using his wind magic, maneuvering through the air to avoid its strikes, until he was thrown into a wall.

Fortunately, he managed to stop the sword from piercing him and deflected it.

Despite his best efforts, Yuno struggled to land a hit on Mars. Exhausted and unable to keep up, he eventually landed a few meters away from the enemy and collapsed onto his knees, panting heavily. Blood trickles from the corner of his lips.

"Such pitiful magic. It won't work on me." Said Mars, covered with an armor made out of his mineral magic.

Yuno groaned slightly and leaped into the air, attempting to attack Mars again.

"It's no use." Mars implied.

Yuno persisted, launching another attack while evading Mars' sword strikes.

"I've already told you, it's useless." Mars reiterated.

Yuno prepared himself for another strike, drawing upon his memories of training with Asta during their childhood.

"Stop your pointless resistance-"

"No!" Yuno released another surge of wind, but Mars effortlessly blocked it.

"Move."

"I won't!" The process goes on as Mars tried to degrade his determination, but he didn't budge.

"Give up." Mars declared, raising the giant sword for the final strike, but Yuno didn't move even an inch.

"I will not." Yuno proclaimed, attempting to use his wind magic to push the sword away, but it didn't work. The sword was about to crush him as Klaus yelled his name in alarm from his vantage point.

Yuno found himself unable to evade the impending strike due to his weakened state, kneeling in exhaustion. In that moment, a thought crossed his mind. 'Am I really going to die here? I haven't even paid my debt to her. I told her that I will, but. . .'

"Yuno!!"

His eyes widened at the familiar voices. He noticed an arrow struck the massive sword, causing it to shift its trajectory away from him. In that crucial moment, Asta leaped in, wielding his sword, and cleaved the giant weapon in two.