Chapter 19

Edmund had to stay in that room for another day before he could be released, or that Madam Pomfrey thought it would be fine to let him go. By that time he knew that he doesn't like to be the patient rather than the occasional helper in the Hospital Wing. He hated being useless and it was eating at him.

The Gryffindor Quidditch team talked to Edmund a bit before disappearing. Fred and George were complimenting him how it looked as if he was in an action movie. Edmund thought it was funny. The three Gryffindor Chasers all praised him with flushed, blushing faces. He just smiled and thanked them but said that he'd do it again. The only thing left unspoken was that he'd do anything for family.

On the last day before Edmund was released from the Hospital Wing, Hagrid sent him and Harry a bunch of flowers that looked like yellow cabbages. Edmund thought that it was peculiar but he still appreciated the flowers. Ginny gave Harry a letter and Edmund a smile before running away, her face as red as her flaming-red hair.

Edmund and Harry only exchanged a few words about what had happened in Professor Lupin's office, but it was never about quidditch. Relief had spread through his chest as some sense of normalcy returned to the two of them, he had missed his friend.

The occasional uncomfortable, tense silences were mostly made by Edmund and Ron along with Edmund and Harry. Maybe Hermione and Ron if it was a bad day. His heart just keeps sinking with how out of it they all were. The only thing constant in the group would be Edmund's feelings for Hermione, those would never leave. Guessing by the flutter in his stomach and the furrowing eyebrows as he listened to her, she'd never not have his attention.

The first class that Edmund returned to was Transfiguration, Harry hasn't returned to class yet. Edmund got many praising looks from his fellow students but he'd always look away to not meet their eyes.

Draco had passed him a note with it saying that he was glad that Edmund was alright. Edmund now keeps that paper in his wallet that is on his desk.

The day Harry returned, the boy had lagged back to speak with his uncle Remus. Edmund noticed and started to pack his bag instead of staying behind and talking with his uncle. But as soon as he neared the door, Harry's hand grabbed onto Edmund's. "How did you make those dementors back off?"

"Patronus charm." Edmund answered and Harry's grip on his arm loosened. He shared a look with his uncle before looking back at Harry. "It's a hard spell, Harry. Advanced wizards even struggle with it."

Harry had the same look on his face when his uncle told him that Edmund's mother was his father's twin sister. The same look of questions that were never answered. His hand was removed from his arm and Edmund nodded at the two before making his way out of the room. He had to go to Ancient Runes.

"Edmund?" Hermione said, quietly as he placed her set of books in front of her. "Why did you do that?" It was the first time they were alone, well alone was loosely said since they were in the back of a classroom.

"Do what?" He asked and shot her a look.

"Jump to catch Harry like that, you could've hurt yourself."

Edmund let out a short breath and looked at her. "It would be a big fall." He whispered to her, "I didn't want him to get hurt."

"Ron says it was because Dumbledore was watching the match." Hermione whispered back to him and his stomach just dropped. Edmund straightened his posture as Hermione whispered Ron's name out, it just happened automatically.

"Ron says a lot of things lately." Edmund said through grinding teeth and looked away, breaking eye contact and thus the short conversation between them. He felt particularly annoyed when Draco turned around to look at the two of them sitting together, the blonde had a smug look on his face.