Chapter 31

"Harry!" Edmund called out for his cousin in the bustling hallway and reached out to grab the boy's arm. Students waved around them as they came to a halt, Edmund glanced at Ron who just looked away and stood there with them. A few students managed to bump into Ron, but walked around Edmund and Harry.

"Edmund, we have potions now, how many times have I told you?" Harry sighed. Edmund had a bad habit of forgetting his schedule, most would think. It was actually just a way to start a conversation with people, to make it less awkward. He liked to talk to people.

"It's about our clothes for the ball this evening." Edmund said quietly and pulled Harry a bit closer to him. "You know our tailor right, the old one?" He questioned and ignored how Ron straightened his posture. He hadn't seen a stormy glare of the ginger in a while, he realised. "Did he add something to your costume, like some cloth around the shoulders?"

Harry frowned, "No," He answered, "Did he add something to yours?"

Edmund just held out a paper to Harry. It must have been some sight to see him in the hallway. His lip was still busted from Roger Davies punching him the day before and it was still healing. He has to go to Madam Pomfrey to close the busted lip before the yule ball and then the pink scar under his eye, the one that was a trophy for surviving the first task of the Triwizard Tournament. His clothes were a mess too, he had slept for too long and had to hurry to get to class. That very morning at breakfast, Susan had stopped him and redo his tie before fixing his collar.

"He seriously added that?" Harry questioned after he had read the paper that Edmund had handed him, "I thought you asked for something muggle?" Edmund nodded, and Harry just blinked a few times. "That blood status might just do wonders for you, Ed. Just not for people like me," He stopped for a few seconds, "Or Hermione." Harry was gauging his reaction, Edmund realised.

He felt the familiar ache in his heart but he just shrugged it away, "That's why I wanted to wear something muggle," He plucked the paper from Harry's hand, "Instead, he's making me look like my status and some aristocrat." Edmund complained and the students were scattering from the halls.

The three of them walked over to their class and Edmund let out a breath as he sat back, "You are technically an aristocrat, if you know." Ron said quietly before moving over to his seat. Edmund was slightly surprised that Ron was speaking to him, the evening before class began again, Edmund was talking with Susan and Cedric by the fire about how he hadn't expected that Roger would punch him, and that he had expected that Ron would do so first.

Edmund gave Ron an amused smile before sitting near the back with Susan and Neville. Susan gave him a little confused look before settling her unamused gaze back on Draco, who was joking with his housemates. "I thought we didn't like Ron." Susan whispered, narrowing her eyes at the back of the ginger's head. She had started to have a big dislike towards him.

"He hasn't been on anyone's nerves lately." Edmund found himself surprised how he had slightly defended Ron. Susan raised an eyebrow as she glanced back at Edmund and just nodded, it was subtle, like she didn't want to admit that Ron hadn't been annoying anyone.

The lesson started and his uncle had taken the attention of most students in the classroom. His uncle was a great potioneer and instructor, but it was obvious that he didn't enjoy being a potions teacher and it showed in his tone and the energy to give the class.

"Do I bore you, Mr. Lupin-Black?" Professor Snape questioned as he stood in front of Edmund. Edmund looked up from the picture in his wallet and swallowed nervously. His uncle had called him out multiple times but that was from across the class, "Are you reading under the table?" The man now stood right in front of him, he looked like he wasn't in a playing mood.