Chapter 21

Sirius Black's trail was put on the big screens, for everyone to see and by every means possible. There was a muggle video camera filming everything, there were people using a magical quill to get everything written down with their owls in the corner, ready to send out the latest plot twist in the cruel case of Sirius Black's lack of trial which was at last, finally given.

Edmund didn't know how to feel, at some times he forgets that he even had a father that lived and didn't die like his mother did. Of course, he felt the absence of a father figure but there would always be one of his uncles to fill the shoes.

He didn't jump at the man at the sight of it, he didn't jump up for a hug or anything because at that moment he just felt a slight anger. An anger that simmered because his father didn't recognize him in the shack or that he didn't say anything until it had finally clicked in his head, having been so distracted with the rat.

What was even worse was that his father wanted to turn back to Lupin, maybe run. Edmund told him his mentor had a trial for him that could pronounce him innocent but he still wanted to turn back.

The bag slipped off of his shoulder and onto the ground, creating a little dust circle around it. He looked around the stairs and at the framed drawing that he had made as a little kid. "I haven't been here in a while." Edmund said, quietly.

"It must be hard for you." Dumbledore spoke from beside him. "Don't be afraid to reach out to me, young Edmund." The man put a hand on his shoulder and Edmund took in a breath. "Your father will be released in an hour. Until then I thought it might have been a good idea to settle into your old house."

Edmund nodded. "You're the secretkeeper?" He asked as Dumbledore lifted his hand from his shoulder. Dumbledore nodded at him and Edmund took in a breath. "Thank you for bringing me here, I wouldn't have asked if uncle Remus or Severus weren't busy."

"It is fine. I am your mentor, our agreement is bound to help one another out." Dumbledore hummed and put a hand on the doorknob. "You can at last be Edmund Black."

Edmund gave the man a small smile. "Right." Said Edmund quietly. "When will Harry come?"

"Next week." Dumbledore answered every question Edmund had.

Edmund nodded, he only had a week to get to know and be familiar with his estranged father. That was time enough. His heart jumped and wand gripped in his hand when he heard a sound of rummaging. "Reveal yourself!" Edmund called out as he crept around the corner. His bag was long forgotten.

"Little master?" A voice sounded hopeful. Edmund looked into the kitchen and his breath hitched.

The house-elf that used to only help Edmund, and Edmund only. "Kreacher?" Edmund questioned and kneeled down to look at the elf more clearly. "Oh wow, you've grown old."

"You've grown in general, master Edmund." The house-elf said. "You remind me of master Regulus."

The wizard gave the house-elf a small smile and stood up to his full height again. "Edmund is fine, Kreacher. You might be a house-elf but you still deserve my respect, especially since you're older than I." Kreacher looked like he wanted to fight against Edmund's opinion. "Do you think we can clean up the place?" Edmund asked as he trailed a finger against the hardwood table, picking up a layer of dust on his finger.

"Of course, mas-." Edmund gave him a strict look. "Edmund." He smiled at the house-elf and his heart fluttered as he'd think about how proud Hermione would be of him.

"Leave the master bedroom to it please, I'll clean it up on my own." He clenched his jaw and the habit he so hard tried to fight against came back the moment he thought of the bed his mother had died in. His fingers fidgeted with the necklace around his neck.