01 | Kinda Hate U Kinda Love U

S i m o n e

--------------------------

"Lovely, Isn't it?" I smirked casually, my hand outstretched before me and the Van Cleef and Arpels sales associate. Clipped around my wrist was the latest addition to my collection, an 18k yellow gold Vintage Alhambra 5 motif bracelet with diamond and malachite. 

"It layers well," My sales associate, Delilah, agreed thoughtfully.

She was one of the younger employees of the store, still older than myself but not nearly as aged as the others. I loved her especially because I could always see the looming look of desire every time I entered the store and left with another item.

A simmering excitement bubbled in my chest, warming my aching stomach knowing that she'd be the one to sell me the 16-thousand dollar bracelet I'd been looking at. I enjoyed knowing she more than likely compared herself to me.

Sighing, I stretched my hand even more, wiggling the fingers that held numerous rings in front of her eyes. "I'm going to an auction tonight, Delilah. This will be perfect for the dress I plan on wearing."

"Most perfect," she nodded along, her voice charming. I wanted to cringe. "Should I introduce you to the matching earrings? They are 3-motif and one is diamond as well. So similar to the last earrings you purchased but I think they will stand out more elegantly alongside the new bracelet."

I had already seen the earrings she was talking about on the website, but I wanted to savor the thrill of buying them for another day when it would be more of a slap in the face to her.

Shaking my head, I smiled generously. "You know me too well, Delilah. But I'm in a rush and I'm going to be wearing my hair down tonight so there is no worth the trouble today."

Delilah nodded, but her eyes narrowed cheerfully. Another day, I told myself.

I finished up at the store, my mind already running with ideas of what Mother would say to another purchase. She told me to slow down with the spending, but a day I didn't use my card was a day of sadness. Plus, it kept me busy and occupied. It made avoiding things easier.