13 | Liquid Smooth

N i c o l a s

--------------------------

So maybe the plan had changed just a bit.

So maybe I hadn't been able to think of anything but her for the past 2 days.

So maybe she was on my mind so frequently that I could barely even focus at work and even Morgan was picking up on my distracted state of mind.

So maybe I was constantly inches away from grabbing my phone and texting Ryu directly to see if she'd gotten any texts from her.

The same phone that was now flipped screen down on the corner of my desk as I tried desperately to ignore and focus on the man standing in front of me with a stack of papers.

Some new hire who needed my approval of his numbers. It was a ritual. Anyone new to the finance team had to have their work overlooked by me and the head manager for the first 2 weeks. We were in an industry where mistakes simply could not occur.

He was saying something and fidgeting an annoying amount with the glasses propped up on his nose, but all I could focus on was that phone.

I told Ryu to tell me once Simone had called her the next day, but either she forgot or Simone never called because I had gotten nothing.

So maybe I was panicking, just a bit.

Who cares? So what?

Something rather scary had happened so it was only natural for me to be concerned.

For the 3rd day straight, though? Especially over a girl I had told essentially everyone I didn't care for? Over a girl, I didn't -- don't -- care for?

That's normal, right?

"Mr. Savice?" The blonde-haired geek questioned, scrunching his nose up so the glasses wouldn't fall off his face.

Blinking out of my daze, I temporarily redirected my focus back to him. "Leave the papers on my desk, you can clock out for the night," I said even though I didn't really know or care about what he was really talking about.