1 - No Hailey

Chapter Photo credits:

MARCH

"Okay. Ten more. Nice and easy."

Will Drake grunted through the leg presses assigned by Joel, the team's trainer. A tricky right knee had put Will on the bench a few too many times the past season. As a professional football player, injuries were unavoidable. Running fast and catching the ball was the job of a wide receiver, and Will was a two-time Pro Bowler which was unheard of after only three seasons.

As he finished the last rep, he wondered if the stench of sweat was from him or the room itself. Joel made a note on his clipboard and nodded.

Will swung his legs over and stood up. "What's the verdict, chief?"

"How does it feel?"

"No pain, but the strength isn't what I'm used to."

"It's a gradual process, but you'll be ready for camp. Just follow my plan and take it gradually."

"What? Are you telling me I can leave town?"

He smiled. "What do you have against Buffalo?"

Will paused. He owned a house, so it was home. "I miss my family and friends."

"What about your girl?"

Will frowned. "No girl." She dumped me.

When Will started dating Hailey his last year of school in Boston, he did it to help Sam. Then he moved to her hometown, and they got together whenever she was home on break. After she graduated and took a job at the hospital in Buffalo, things changed for Will. He fell for her, but she treated him like a novelty. She filled her social media with her boyfriend, the football player.

"Sorry, man."

He shrugged in an effort to dislodge the pain in his chest. "After three-plus years, you would think she would learn to love the game." She never even learned the basics like the difference between a touchdown and a field goal.

After shaking hands with the trainer. Joel slapped him on his back. "I want updates. Answer my texts."

Will waved him off. He was too busy trying to decide where to go. First, he crossed his parents' house off the list. He loved them, but it felt like a step backward. Maine was an option. Maybe his sister, Lana, would let him crash at her cottage.