47 - Yelp

When Kat's alarm went off, Will rolled over to pin her against the bed. Half asleep, he mumbled, "Just once I want you and me in this bed past five-thirty. His hand reached up and caressed her breast through her thin shirt.

"If you keep that up, we will and I'll have lobstermen trying to break the door down. Plus Martha is opening tomorrow. I wanted to surprise you."

Will lifted his head off her shoulder. "Seriously? Let's stay at my place."

"Sounds good to me. Now let me up, you big lug."

"I'm more than a lug. I'm a highly intelligent human."

Kat laughed as she climbed out of bed. "Sleep. I don't mind."

"Nah, I've gotten to know the early risers at the gym."

He let Kat shower and watched as she pulled her damp hair into a ponytail. She leaned over and kissed him without lingering before disappearing.

Will smiled. He was so damn happy, even if Kat hadn't said she loved him, he loved being with her. With three months left before training camp, he didn't dwell on the time they would be apart. He had lots of ideas, including her flying to Buffalo every other week. Maybe he could travel to see her on their bye week when they didn't play a game. She could come to see him when he played in Massachusetts. It wouldn't be enough and it would be hard to maintain year after year. He kicked himself for thinking that far ahead. It only led to heartbreak. Once upon a time, he imagined him and Hailey strolling with a baby in a carriage. He needed to heed his own advice. He told Nick to grab onto what he could and not wait for it all. If Will waited, he would be a lonely man until his career ended. Knock on wood, he would play into his mid to late thirties. If he kept healthy, there was no reason to believe he couldn't, but his mother harped on him about concussions. He had been incredibly lucky so far. He hadn't had one since high school.

The last thing he wanted was an altered brain. He had met some former players who were mentally slow. There were guys in the locker room who were prone to anger. It was a risk of his profession.

After his coffee, he waved to Kat who was busy baking and left for the gym. Halfway through his off season, he had started to amp up his workouts. The next step was not one he was looking forward to, weaning off simple carbs. That included everything Kat baked.

After strength training, he ran five miles before finishing with sprints. He hadn't caught a ball since Ryan's birthday. His mother suggested he join them in Virginia for Easter, but he would rather stay with Kat.

After his shower, he resisted the urge to go see Kat. Instead, he looked at his investments including recent sales. Kat's Saturday nights were profitable. He refused to point it out or she would look to add a second night. Will, the investor, feared it would water down the sales. Will, the boyfriend, didn't want Kat to work more. Instead, he preferred she cuddle with him.

When his phone rang, he reached for it. "Hey, Lan."

"You sound like you were hoping it was someone else."

"Kat's busy with the lunch rush."

"Things are going well with you two?"

"I love her."

Lana laughed. "You always do."

"It's different this time."

"I've heard that before. Will, you'll end up with another broken heart."

"This time is different."

She sighed. "Yeah, because you're lying to her."

Will bit his lip. He needed to tell her, but didn't know how. "She hates me."