53 - Favor

Will breathed a sigh of relief when he received confirmation the contract had been delivered to Kat. The best way to earn back her trust was to put his trust in her. He turned full control of the business to her and gave her fifty percent of the profits.

If Kat left The Landing, he would lose twice. With all the changes she made, no one could replace her. Will wanted to try her stuffed bread, but even if he were in Maine, he had gone back to his complex carbs.

When his phone rang, he deflated when it wasn't Kat. "Hi Kerry."

"Should I follow up with her?"

He shook his head. "Give her time."

"Every chance I get, I tell her how dumb men are, but that you're a good person."

"Thanks a lot." He already knew he was an idiot. Lana was nice over Easter, but she found a reason to call every day to remind him. Will was pretty sure she was checking up on him.

This time felt different, he wasn't moping around wearing his broken heart on his sleeve. With Hailey, he pursued a train wreck. After being with Kat, he saw the truth. All the other times when he thought he was in love, he was wrong. No other relationship was like the one he had with Kat. Even with the distance obstacle, he could see a real future with her.

Maybe he was being stupid again, Kat never said she loved him. Feeling restless, he was ready to go back to Maine. The weather had turned the corner, and he wanted to enjoy it. Hell, he wanted to see Kat again. Ideally, it would be better if she signed the contract before he returned. He wanted her to choose The Landing first. Then he had time to convince her to forgive him.

Will woke up with the entire weekend ahead of him. He made coffee in his fancy machine, ironically it made froth, but tasted like shit compared to Rick's coffee. After a long run, and workout, he sat down and wondered what to do.

Picking up his phone, he checked his socials. The first thing in his feed was Hailey. Why did he still follow her? She had a puppy. Smiling, he recognized the background. She was living at her parents' house. On a whim, he liked a few pictures. Sam had posts about his travels and Anna had a picture of her belly with the caption where are my feet? Thankfully, he didn't have any psycho exes to push Anna this time.

Reluctantly, he looked at The Landing. Since it was Saturday, there was a teaser about the date night dinner. He imagined the porch lit with the twinkling lights and flickering candles and couples, ones he knew and strangers, enjoying Kat's meal. A longing burrowed itself into his heart.

Shifting his focus, he smiled at another picture. Nick at his graduation. A part of him wished he could be there, but then he felt stupid. They weren't that good of friends. Will would go back for the big Memorial weekend party, after all he was from Plover Way.

When Lana's face popped up, he answered. "I'm fine."

"I know you are. Maddie called me to tell me about Kat's contract."

"Who told her?" If Kat was talking about it, then there was hope."

"Kat was sitting with Ed. Martha told Alex who told Jen who..."

"Yeah, yeah, I get it. So everyone knows now. The question is will she sign it."

"I'd take it as good news if she wanted to discuss the language."

Will smiled. "If she wanted to rip it up, she would have. I'm surprised Ed isn't in Florida for the graduation."

"The school probably limited the number of tickets. Man, I remember when they were born. I feel old."

Will laughed. "Do you realize how crazy that sounded?"

"Why? I remember coming back after the winter and they were tiny babies."