18 - The same

Kat frowned as she read the email from her invisible boss. She didn't know a single name of who even worked for the investment group. Whoever it was didn't want her baking. The lack of space and oven was a problem, but every turnover sold before the end of lunch. Imagine if she had made them earlier in the day. The business sold a lot of coffee, but needed to sell more.

She would prove an oven was an excellent investment. The challenge would be fun. Fun. Kat had been enjoying herself more than working in a hot kitchen. The customers were nice and accepted her. When she attended the party for Rick's retirement it amazed her how his former employees flew in from across the country and the Atlantic to honor him. She had big shoes to fill. Thankfully, her employees welcomed her. Two college kids were the most senior of the crew, by experience, not years.

On her first official day, business was hopping. Mondays were slow in the restaurant business, but maybe people needed an extra coffee or lunch out. More than likely they wanted to make sure she didn't ruin the coffee. A smile followed every sip with a comment.

"It tastes the same."

"Just as good."

The recipe was ingeniously simple, no way she would screw it up. The only plans she had was to improve things, not fix what worked. Although the muffins worked well enough, fresh ones would exceed expectations. She stared at the space for a solution.

A customer walked up to the counter with a pack of gum and a package of hotdog rolls. Ivy said the grocery business picked up in the summer. "Renters don't care what it costs for milk and eggs."

When Nick came in, Ivy was off duty. The two talked for a few minutes, but Kat couldn't hear them. She asked if they had known each other long. Both laughed.

Ivy said, "As long as I can remember. We live across the street from each other."

Nick nodded. "Sophie, my twin, is Ivy's best friend."

"And my brother and Nick were like this." She crossed her fingers.

"That's nice." Ivy was older than Kat was when she started dating Bryce. Had she looked as young as the pretty girl?

After the exchange, Ivy waved. "Great first day! Too bad Nick missed the turnovers."

Nick laughed. "I heard about them. I also heard they did not impress our mystery owner."

"Why?" Ivy turned back.

Kat waved her off. "Don't worry. I'll come up with a plan." Kat watched as her ponytail bounced out the door. She turned to Nick. "Who told you?"

"Everyone who ate the turnovers."

"How do you know about the boss?"

Nick shrugged. "It's The Point. There are no secrets."

Kat had plenty. "Who are these investors?"

Nick frowned. "Except that. No one seems to know. My grandfather is Rick's lawyer and even he doesn't know. People think it's him. He could afford it, but others could too."

"This place must have cost a lot of money."

"You would be surprised. People don't act it, but some have millions."

"I can't believe Wendy Clark worked here. I've read her books."

He rolled his eyes. "My mom too, but her son, Matthew's books are just as successful. He's rolling in it."

Kat shook her head. "The voice in my interview wasn't British."

Nick leaned forward. "You know his voice."