Fall.

The fog was looming over the tops of trees that surrounded the deep forest. The air was thick and muggy almost warm, regardless if it was a crisp fall day in the middle of November. Typically around this time of year after Halloween and Thanksgiving, the weather would quickly turn colder as snow would start to fall and cover the town in thick white dust creating an uneasy silence throughout the area.

    The sound of branches breaking echoed through the trees as birds flew away from where they laid still at the sound of every snap. A figure began to kick stones as they lazily lifted their legs up with each step. Their body seemed to hang loosely as they fumbled around carelessly throughout the dark woods. Long, honey coloured brown hair laid still along their shoulders as the wind had died down hours before their walk home. With every breath a cloud formed at their lips, creating an uncomfortable chapped feeling that they couldn't get rid of.

    Fall was a beautiful season. The leafs turned different shades of red,yellow,orange and brown. They seemed to fall so carelessly from their branches to the forest floor ; almost in the same pattern the figured walked in. They shuffled around in their pockets before pulling out a lighter and a cigarette, placing it between their chapped lips and shakily fiddling with the lighter to get it to work. As the lighter lit the cigarette, they shoved it back into their pocket and continued on their way down the wood chip filled path.

   Not only was Fall a beautiful season for many aesthetically pleasing reasons, but it was also beautiful due to the fact most people preferred to stay inside. This made walking around the town and the forest much more enjoyable as you didn't need to worry about bumping into anyone you didn't want to strike up a pointless conversation with. The pure bliss of feeling like you're alone in the world, lost in your thoughts as you lazily strolled around not caring about anything. However, the thought of someone or something following your ever move without you seeing was a terrifying thought.

   It was just a thought though.

   Right?

   As the figure made their way near the end of the forest, so close that they could see the tops of houses and hear the occasional car zoom by on one of the many streets a few minutes down from the hill they were on, they heard something. They hoped it was just something. Maybe a bird landing on the ground or a small forest creature scurrying around trying to get home before it gets too late. They shook their head as they realized their cigarette had gone out. Sighing, they paused their stroll and ashes it on the bottom of their boot before chucking it into the same pocket where the lighter resided. Before they could take another step the sound was heard once again.

   It was closer.

   Now slightly weary, the figure began to quickly walk back towards the town. They tried to hard to pretend like the sound hadn't picked up speed ; almost like it was trying to match their pace. They close slid their hand into one of the front pockets on their jeans and grabbed a hold of a small, silver pocket knife. Their breath began to grown quicker, making the cloud of smoke almost look permanent as they rushed and rushed to find safety.

   The sound picked up speed.

   They could hear the sound of branches snapping as if a large, heavy creature was crushing them as they ran. Now, completely terrified out of their mind, the figure began to run.

    Not knowing what was behind them, and not wanting to find out ; they chose to keep their gaze forward still lightly gripping the handle of the knife. The one thought in their head at this time, the only clear thought was :

   Do NOT trip. This isn't a horror movie. Don't fucking trip.

    You know what happens when you over analyze a situation? When you focus on something so damn much that you end up not paying attention to your surroundings? You know, the types of incidents that occur and they make you understand why people get killed in horror movies for silly things.