Voices.

She sat against the couch, holding her knees tightly against her chest as she watched the door. She couldn't guess how much time had passed since he left, it felt like forever and nothing at the same time.  Veronica was breathing heavily on the couch behind her almost distracting her from the deep focus that she held on the door. What happened? What did she do to deserve this outcome? Her legs slowly fell from in between her arms as she pressed the palms of her hands on the hardwood floor and stood up. Her vision danced across the room but finally landed on a slightly cracked door. She tried her best to sneak towards it, walking on her heels to avoid any creaks or cracks the old floor may have to offer. Once she reached it she pressed her hand against the old door and slightly pushed it open.

    The door creaked loudly as she stuck her head inside looking around as the slight candle light from outside eliminated the small area. There was an old counter that held a sink, it was clearly in need of repair as well as a toilet and a dusty shower that seemed to be covered in dirt and god knows what else. She slowly walked in and closed the door, her hands felt along the wall for some sort of switch before her eyes caught a glimpse of a string above her head. She pulled it down as a bright light filled the room. She groaned loudly as the sudden cool light flashed across the room, blinking in a pattern as it seemed the light was just about to burst. She turned her attention towards the mirror that lay in front of the sink, a sinking feeling began to grow in her heart.

    Whoever or whatever was standing in the reflection she didn't recognise. Not only did this person have dark bags under their eyes or a sickly pale complexion, but also streaks of white hair. Camille reached her hands up watching the reflection do the same thing. They both tightly gripped onto the strands and tugged down, causing an aching pain in their skull.  Tears wouldn't even dare form in her eyes as she didn't feel she deserved enough to cry.

   "Cami?'

   She turned her head towards the door taking a deep breath before exiting the bathroom. Veronica was now perched upright leaning her arm on the head of the couch. Her long black hair fell across her face, getting caught in her mouth and earrings. 

   "What happened? Where are we?"

    She could tell her friend was starting to panic so she rushed quickly beside her. She sat on the couch, pulling Veronica into her and brushing her hair tightly behind her ears.

    "I..I can't even begin to explain Roni. "

    As Veronica began to speak once more the sound of shuffling was heard outside. Camille's heart jumped ; almost with joy as the thought of Toby filled her mind. Veronica froze, pulling herself closer into her friend as the sounds began to grow louder. Soon voices could be heard.

    Voices.

    This time Camille's heart jumped in fear, her entire chest began to ache as she tried to pry her friend off of her in hopes of getting them both out of the cabin as fast as possible. 

    "Veronica!"

    Camille whispered, trying to get her friends attention to no avail, this was it. Her luck had run out. Of course after all the run ins with death the past couple of days she never expected to get this far, she never expected she would make it to a somewhat comfortable place being "protected" by some sort of magical creature ; along side her best friend. Camille threw her friend off of her as she jumped off the couch. Veronica landed in a loud thump as she groaned in pain. 

    There was no time to make sure she was okay, there was only time to run. Camille grabbed her hand and dragged her along the floor towards the room she had just come from. Veronica yelped in agony as she slowly closed the door ; not even the click of the lock could be heard. She moved her limp friend into the shower, setting her on her lap as she shakily drew the blinds closed. Veronica's tears felt hot as they leaked onto Camille's skin, her whimpers starting to grow louder with every passing second. Camille threw her left hand over her friends mouth and her right over hers. The two girls sat trembling in the shower as the front door was kicked open as yelling and stuff breaking could be heard from outside.

    "Where is she?!"

     A rough voice screamed as footsteps began to grow closer.

    "I don't know what you're talking about Jeff! Please, can we not destroy my cabin?"

     A familiar voice groaned in annoyance.

    "Our cabin."

    A third voice quietly added on. 

    Camille began to hold her breath as arguing began to break out in the other room. There was nothing Veronica or Camille could do at this point, she had cornered them in a shower. She didn't mean to, she meant to hide her friend ; to protect her. There was nothing more in this world that Camille wanted than to protect Veronica no matter what it took. As childish and pathetic as that sounds, Veronica was her person. She was the only reason Camille was alive today. The only person who cared enough about her. She slowly pulled the shower curtain aside and glanced towards the small window.

    Small, but big enough to fit a person through. 

    She grabbed her friend as the voices continued to argue in the living room. Her heart was beating so fast, it felt as though you could see it through her chest as the blood began to flow hot through her veins. There was nothing she had experienced in her entire life that made her feel this way. As Veronica began to attempt to crawl from the tub ; the loud thump of a bottle of body wash fell off the edge echoing throughout the room. Both girls cursed under their breath as the voices stopped. 

    "You fucking liar!"

    The raspy voice yelled as the sound of loud foot steps began to approach the door. Veronica used all her strength to stand up as Camille began to pry the window open. A recent paint job seemed to cover the edges making it almost impossible in the amount of time they had. Banging sounds began to ring through their ears as Camille desperately used all her strength to pry open the window. Her nails began to bleed and her face turned red as she finally broke the window loose of the paint. They both held their breath as she opened the window fully, the cold fall wind now blowing across their faces. 

    The bathroom door suddenly opened, slamming against the wall as a tall pale man stood in front of them.  They both screamed as they took him in ; a slit smile full of blood smearing against his face, wide almost sunken in black eyes and a horrific glare. His hair was wild and deep black, wearing a white hoodie stained with old blood, dirt and grass. Camille grabbed onto her friend, pulling her in close as the man began to swing a knife out of his pocket and charge towards them. Camille screamed and suddenly everything stopped. Everything in the room began to grow cold ; almost frozen. A sudden tingle of emotions running through her entire body seemed to escape from her mouth during the scream. Black dots began to form ; similar to the ones she saw during her time in the forest. 

    The man was thrown out of the room as the door slammed shut. Loud arguing began to resume outside as Veronica and Camille took a deep breath and looked at each other. Everything resumed in a normal fashion, she could hear her breath along as Veronica's. The black dots began to fade, causing a sudden nauseous feeling beginning to form in her stomach as well as an absolute tiredness almost consuming her. 

    "What the fuck was that?"

    Veronica gasped.

     "Does it matter? Lets get the hell out of here and back home!"

    Veronica nodded shakily as she began to jump onto the toilet that laid under the window pulling herself through the window trying to avoid the broken glass that came off with the paint chips as Camille followed close behind. As their feet touched the wet grass that lay under the slight glow of the sunrise ; they began to run. They didn't even take a second to look back, they just ran as fast as they possibly could ; as fast and far away from the voices that meant to hurt them. The voices that came from the sickly pale, distorted man that stood at the bathroom door. 

     The voices that clearly wanted every single proof of their existence gone.

     The Voices.