Water.

The world around her was murky. She felt as though she was swimming through the darkest and deepest ocean in the world, unable to catch a breath as she aimlessly swam around in what seemed to be circles. Not too sure of where she was or even who she was ; she just continued to let the water take her where ever it wanted.

The water, or whatever the seemingly liquid was felt oddly warm. It shouldn't have been though. She imagined if she were to be stuck constantly swimming around a dark ocean that it would be cold to the touch. That it would cause her to pass out due to suffocation or hypothermia, however this dark and deep ocean seemed welcoming.

She couldn't seem to remember how she got here or what happened to her. So many questions circled around in her brain, causing the once calm feeling to be overtaken by a vibrating feeling of unease.

"Am I dead?"

Was the thought that seemed to be the most active in her mind. Maybe she was dead. She didn't really seem to mind once the feeling of fear was washed away by a light wave that brushed past her. Wherever she was felt calm. It was peaceful. She didn't want to leave, she couldn't remember what was waiting for her on the other side back in reality and she didn't really want to know. She wanted to float around in this warm and murky water forever.

Suddenly, she was brought out of her peaceful trance as the feeling of panic began to race through her veins. Her breath had become shallow and she could hardly keep her eyes open anymore.

"No..."

She thought. This couldn't be the end, could it? She wanted to scream out to whoever created this world and beg to stay. Beg them as hard as she could and offer them anything just as long as she could continue to float around in this heavenly water. But, it seemed like it wasn't in the cards for her. As her eyes seemed to forcefully slam shut, a bright light took over her inner eyelids.

She could breath again now. She forced her body to open her eyes in hope that the murky water had returned to her, but instead she was met with the warm hue of sunlight pouring in from an open window. She was sore, her entire body ached as she shakily pushed herself up and looked around.

It was her apartment. Her eyes glanced across the living room, looking at the books that lined a broken shelf in the corner by her TV. She looked at the red carpet that sat under a brown coffee table where an old coffee cup sat alongside a half used candle that smelt like roses. She then turned her attention to pictures of her family and friends that hung on the walls. The one of her parents was slightly tilted to the left, exactly where she had left it after fighting with the damn thing for hours trying to get it straight.

Nothing had been touched, but she didn't remember coming home last night. She tried to rack her brain for memories of the previous day but to no avail. If she passed out drunk or came home late at night tired or plastered there would be some sort of tell. Like the lamp that sat next to the doorway into the kitchen being knocked over, or textbooks lying scattered around her under the couch. There was nothing.

She groaned as she sat up, shaking her head and pushing her feet against the cold wood floor to stand up and make a cup of coffee. When she tried however, she fell over in pain. Almost screaming and bursting into tears but she stopped herself as her eyes panned downwards to her thigh. She slowly let her right hand glide against her skin as she drew circles around the bandage that sat along a wound.

Everything came flooding back.

The sounds, the rock, the knife, the tears and screaming out for help till her voice went hoarse and most importantly...

The dark shadow.

In a panic, the girl ignored her pain and pushed herself off the floor and began to quickly move around the apartment looking for her backpack. She slid her hand against the walls trying to support herself as she made her achy body search every corner of every room. Then she found it. She let out a sign of relief as she stumbled into her bedroom to see the backpack sat neatly on top of her bed. She lowered herself onto it, the pink sheets so inviting as she wished she could just crawl in and sleep. To pretend that none of this was real. She thought to herself about the murky water as she anxiously searched her backpack, throwing everything she owned out onto the bed.

"Finally."

She spoke quietly as she grabbed her phone and turned it on. She searched through her notifications to find any trace of missed calls or messages ; maybe even her job since she obviously had missed a shift. The only notifications on her phone were 12 missed calls from her friend Veronica. She shakily began to text her friend, her fingers not hitting any of the correct buttons and she tried to get out a message for help.

RONI

    11:45pm
    Hello?

    12:00am
  Where are u, we
were supposed to meet
up after your shift.  

12:20am
   Did u pass out after
class? 

       12:56am
   Camille this isn't
funny anymore. I'm
calling you.

                               12 missed calls
                                5 new voicemails
                                                                          3:05pm
                                                               Come over. Pls

     Camille gently placed her phone in the back pocket of her jeans and rolled onto her back looking up at the ceiling. What was she even going to say to Veronica? Would she believe her? She had to. She had to believe her. I mean after all, they had been best friends since grade eight. They had no one else besides each other, they were as thick as thieves you could say. She felt like she could trust her, she knew she could it was just a matter of how would she react when she told her someone attempted to kill her in the woods last night. Veronica always told her to not go alone out there as people have disappeared in the past but of course she didn't listen.

      Veronica didn't understand the feeling of freedom you get from being out alone in the dark woods as the sun was begging to set. She was too anxious to go outside city limits, even to go anywhere more than fifteen minutes away from her apartment. She didn't blame her anxious friend though because the reason she didn't like to be alone, the reason she hated the woods and was terrified to stray too far from her home was because her brother was one of the people that went missing from the woods.

         Camille could recount that awful night perfectly. It was a snowy Tuesday night, the two were having a sleep over at Veronica's parents as they both loved the snow so much they wanted to make the most of it. The girls sat with the lights off in Veronica's room, leaving the window open so slightly just so they were able to smell the fresh falling snow as they watched horror movies curled up in her bed. Everything had been perfect that night. That was until the girls were awoken after passing out mid movie to the sound of police cars and Veronica's mothers screams from downstairs. She remembered how terrified they were as the house grew silent, only sobs were heard occasionally downstairs. They weren't told about it until later on in the evening, so late that I guess you could call it early morning as the sun was slowly creeping up.

      They never found him. He was lost to time, lost to the woods.

      The sound of a lock turning and a door being thrown open was heard from around the apartment. Camille slowly sat up as she heard her friend drop her bag and run into her room. He face was pale and full of worry and fear. Her long straight black hair was in a mess, which Camille assumed was from running here. Veronica gazed at her friend, looking over every part of her body before her lip start to quake.

       "Where the Fuck were you?"