Chapter Twenty-Six

Graydon frowned at Maeno as the third year slipped out of Lord Lugh's study. The shield normally snuck about for his visits with his sword, yet he stared openly at Graydon as he walked past.

Stepping into the study, Graydon locked the door at a motion from the lord.

He had felt something and known it was Theon. The sensation was unlike any he had felt before except those terrifying hours he had sat outside his father's sickroom when they thought he might die. Theon had to be sedated for much of the recovery period.

Being called by Lord Lugh after such a sensation did not bode well.

"Graydon Pan," Lord Lugh said, sounding bored and annoyed, "have a seat."

Relief swept through Graydon as he sat.

If something had happened to Lord Pan, Lord Lugh would have greeted Graydon with the deference his new title deserved.

He saw the other man hesitate, saw the recognition and understanding. He knew it was a sensation that other heirs must have felt at one point or another. Seeing the understanding drained a bit of the tension from him as he realized it was normal to feel that way.

"Not for that," Nendan said. "There's been no word. You'd likely know better than me."

"Then why do you need me while my fa—"

As Graydon spoke, Lord Lugh opened a drawer, pulled out a sealed, scaled folio, and slipped it across the desk to him. Graydon stopped speaking at the sight of the folio and focused his fury and attention on Lord Lugh.

The folios were spelled for the executioner so that only an executioner could read the writ inside. There were always several executioners, but only one of the main lines serving as one could carry the actual title because more was expected of them.

Graydon had performed more than a handful each year he held the title. It wore on him, and he hated himself for wanting to reach out and caress that folio, tasting the contract its scaled exterior hid.

"I don't do that any longer," he said.

Lord Lugh knew Graydon was no longer an executioner. Graydon suspected the other man knew how he had finally achieved retirement.

"Off the books until completion."

"I don't do that any longer," Graydon responded, a little louder this time.

"I'm doing you a favour, Graydon," Lord Lugh growled. "Speeding the process along a little, let us say."

"I don't do that any longer!"

"Take the folio, Graydon. It's not binding," Lord Lugh hesitated when Graydon snarled, his teeth baring. "Has to be completed within forty-eight days. Forty-nine, and someone else is handed a duplicate. But I am doing you a favour. Do you know how those work?"

"You want my chip?" Graydon demanded. "For something I no longer do?"

"Chip for the folio. Do it, and I keep the chip. Open it and don't do it? You get the chip back at the winter formal. Return it unopened, and you get your chip back."

"Obviously, I have to take it," Graydon growled. "Obviously, there's a threat involved."

Nendan smiled.

"Oh, it's the one you suspect. If you don't at least take the folio, I pull Maeno. Send him to the teleporter school and surround him with Lugh tutors. I'd rather that, really. Safer for him, and I hate camping."

"You would cut her off at the knees?"

"I'm sure she'll recover... eventually. She should learn to be alone. That's what she's going to be her entire life. Because of a choice you made."