Chapter Fifty-Two

Upon seeing Trild's look, Kal walked up to the strange first year, looked him up and down, nodded and said, "sup?"

The other first year was older than Kal and most of the other first years. He looked like he should have been graduating instead of starting school, but he had the ugly look of a mage family with the stature of someone with a title.

Kal considered insulting the other student to get his name, but he was learning that students with titles wanted to introduce themselves to him. They thought they could get close to him and barter words for favours later in life.

"Nothing," the other first year said. "Kal, right?"

Kal grunted an affirmative.

"You?" he asked.

"Dolven Lethe, first year Amos, fourth year teleporter," the other said, holding out his hand, which Kal shook. "I was accepted as one out of ten. Which means whether they expanded the call or not, I would have been here."

"You can teleport without them finding you," Kal said.

"Yes, technically. Though, it's also technically not allowed. Sort of like you spending six out of seven nights in your workroom instead of your dorm. That's not allowed, either."

Kal was aware that he was being called out, but he didn't like the suggestion that someone else had followed him. He put an edge of warning to his voice.

"You're aware of me."

"Yes."

"Can we skip the nonsense and get down the foundation?"

"You're a shield in a forged pair but I don't know who to," Dolven responded. "I have been approached by an interested sword, but I don't believe I'd be permitted to speak the name, considering I agree with his presence. I'd offer an exchange of information. Do you understand the significance of the announcement?"

"No, but I'm jealous," Kal said. "I don't have that option."

Dolven hesitated, then gave a little nod.

"That's not the case with mine."

"So... it's not usual?"

"No," Dolven said with a shake of his head. "Absolutely not. Theon and Luk were the closest recently. I'd prefer their sort of relationship. It's a deep respect and good friends. If it's something else and it works for you... who am I to comment? But this is, well, this is the Dragon Prince marrying Salord."

"These things have significance which I do not understand," Kal said.

"Apparently, yes."

"I took it as being commentary on the fact that Seven do not marry into mage families so much as steal their women, but only those who are distantly related to the Seven. Pan will get Mikent with daughters and then Lugh will marry Mikent's daughters."

"Hadn't noticed that," Dolven muttered. "How do you feel about Naena?"

"I can pick her out because of her gender," Kal responded with a shrug. "She hasn't done anything wrong this year except upset Kaulu."

"Same, I don't understand the reaction," Dolven said. "What I heard about last year made me think I'd see her and immediately feel like she was evil incarnate but she's just a normal woman. Sure, she's capable but Theon was pretty similar. Apparently, the previous generation's Jasor tried to start something, and Theon just slapped his hands together, and the man turned into a cloud of red? So, he exploded someone, and she cut a demon's cock off and then killed him. The one's explained by her being a woman and the second could very well be explained by the first."