Chapter 33 - New Year

I drag my suitcase without much ceremony, wondering how far it is to the exit because the path I've taken so far has been quite convoluted, and I'm glad I won't have to navigate it alone

      I drag my suitcase without much ceremony, wondering how far it is to the exit because the path I've taken so far has been quite convoluted, and I'm glad I won't have to navigate it alone. I thought Nevin was joking when he complained about the size and difficulty of getting through the airport, but it seems I was sorely mistaken. Twice I had to gather my courage and ask strangers for directions because the signs are placed in the most bizarre locations, sometimes very hard to spot, even hidden behind others. I almost missed my flight because of them and my hesitation to talk to someone. I'll make sure I never travel alone by plane again.

      I silently thank the heavens when I see the sliding doors inscribed with the word "exit" and quicken my pace, wearing a broad smile, both excited and agitated at the same time. As soon as I step out, a beaming Nevin rushes towards me, taking me in his arms and nearly knocking me over, even though his physical strength or weight aren't particularly impressive. A blonde woman of the same height as me appears next to us, flashing a small, pleasant smile, which I return while greeting her at the same time. After a few suffocating seconds, Nevin lets me breathe and hurriedly grabs the handle of my suitcase from my hand, a gesture that surprises me a bit. Maybe it's his mother's influence, or his desire to impress her, though I'd like to believe he would have had the same intention even if we weren't accompanied.

      "How was Christmas? We didn't really get a chance to talk," he says, leading us through the never-ending sea of people and luggage bustling around.

      I shrug, recalling the awkward meal I had to attend with Hale because he had slipped out that we had no plans. Zayden left that morning as he wanted to spend the holidays with his mother, which I found very sweet. Even though the conversation was between him and my brother, I could feel the brunette was addressing me because from time to time, his eyes locked onto mine and didn't leave them until Hale got his attention again. Hale has a concentration span similar to that of a goldfish. The conversation didn't last long, but it's clear that Zayden's relationship with his mother is nothing like ours, which is to be expected since it's not very common for people to decide to procreate two beings and then forget about them. It's as if they never wanted us in the first place, so I can't understand how they would make the same mistake twice.

       "Nothing interesting. Just a family meal, and then I watched Christmas movies by myself all afternoon," I comment, leaving out unnecessary details.

      Nevin nods as if my words satisfied him, then turns to me, looking confused and curious, clearly eyeing the guitar case, which I wish I could have wrapped in a way that would make it a real surprise, instead of having to carry it on my back.

      "Since when have you been singing?" he asks suspiciously.

      I chuckle, pulling it out from behind me and extending it towards him. He takes it carefully, as if it's very precious, and an innocent smile spreads across his face, making me forget everything that happened between us, setting aside any animosities, and bringing back the initial atmosphere where I felt like I would give him everything in the world, possible or impossible, just to see him happy.