THIRTYONE

Agnus stood next to Morten, holding his drink.
It had been an engagement party, after two months Kur had finally had enough and threw caution out the window and asked Siu to marry him.

Now however, both him and Morten were sighing at Kenan asking Ivana.
Ivana and Siu had been close, the five were all good friends but they were probably their own little clique within the five.
Agnus and Morten both seriously suspected this was a plan or front?

There was still a lot of discussion among the council about lettering any of them marry at different times then the others. Now though? They had two of them engaged, while the other three seemed miles away from anything of the sort.
They basically forced a discussion with this.

Agnus got distracted though,
there was an immaculately groomed man talking to Aya.
Perfectly fine, men talking to her. But she looked so uncomfortable even Morten elbowed him to point it out.

"I know.. you're not about exactly a knight in shinning armor on a white horse. But, I don't think I am big enough to scare that set of teeth away." Morten said,
giving the man in question a disgusting look as he did an attempt at a radiant smile that looked creepy if anything.

Agnus sighed, "I guess two of them getting engaged made some think they are open for courtship?" 
He turned to put his drink down on a table behind them and moved his mass that way.

Agnus was dressed very plain. Especially besides this very groomed, tropical song bird, looking man.
He stepped up, next to Aya, who immediately made pleading eye contact with him.
"Councilor!" She said, in her light voice with a note of desperation.

Agnus nodded, "Miss Five."

"Have you seen the pup!?" Asked Aya rather loudly and Agnus couldn't help but snort.
But before she could put any actions with the words the other man grabbed her arm.

"A pup? Surely you don't mean that beast that's been prowling around the courtyards? That's a monster!" He smiled, a plastic looking smile.

Aya looked around at the hand on her arm, unsure what to do now.

"Who's this?" Said Agnus, also looking from the arm hold to the man's face.
Blond, striking build and too perfect in the face which made him look uncanny.

"I am Councilor Perkings son," He said in a way that communicated he'd rather not give his name to such a big, smelly, wildling like Agnus.

Councilor Perkings was one of those pompous councilors that had come from wealth and still had wealth. The type of person Agnus wasn't sure should sit in that room to decide the faiths of many people, as his goal in life was to gather more resources than the other human beings in the world.
And here was his son, trying to warm up to Aya?
Agnus had no mood for this guy and looked back at the hand.

Agnus straightened himself and smiled, he probably didn't manage a fake one like this guy but he tried at least something half creepy. "I suggest you unhand the lady, or I will have to arrest you for assaulting one of the five."

He laughed, still holding her.
"Oh, come on, I'm not the enemy here?"

Agnus stepped in front of Aya, put his hand on her arm and rubbed it down it pushing his hand off her arm. All the while staring at him.
The man's smile seemed to morph into a snarl, but it were only his eyes.

Agnus looked down at Aya, who seemed terrified by this whole interaction. It had gone from simply a conversation and guy she wanted to get away from to something way less innocent.
Agnus expected her to bolt, but she didn't.
She stepped forward, at him and took his hand that he had just used.

"Come?" She said this as if she was simply still taking him to see the puppy and none of the weird stuff had happened.

Agnus smiled, "Yes, let's see that pup?"

She pulled him through a archway that led outside and around the wall.
"O my lords, he's awful!" she gasped.

Agnus looked surprised at her, Aya calling someone awful was like him murdering someone.
"You alright? Is he bothering you?"

She had been squinting around the corner and now looked back at him,
"I thought he was trying to be nice at first? But it's been turning a bit weird the last few days?"

"Let me guess, you tried to be nice back? Instead of telling him to get the hell out?" Agnus asked.

Aya looked up at him, "He's a councilor's son. I can't just.."

"Aya, you're about 10 miles above him in station. He's a rude prick that probably ten folded his efforts to get familiar and close with you since I spoke with you at council? Because he is trying to court you, so his father may gain power in the council." Agnus said.

She opened her mouth to retort but then halted, "I guess.. so?" 

Agnus suddenly realized he was considering staying, because this might become a new trend?
That counted for all the remaining five, though Onida had Morten and Mere, well, anyone that would attempt unwanted advances on her would probably turn up dead.
So he'd be staying for Aya.
But Aya, if he was honest with himself, was his reason for considering the teaching post in Durbin the first place.

He was struggling.
Struggling with his attempts to get over the deal.
Struggling with...
if he was even more honest?
The fact that he had gone all stupid and had developed feelings for this girl.
That probably wanted nothing of the sort from anyone!

He looked at her and instead of telling her it was alright and she had to watch out for these kinds of things. He was overwhelmed by the gigantic urge to run into the jungle behind them and never return.
Because she was doing the thing with the big dark eyes, looking up at him, an expression of shame and apology on her face.

She made it worse though,
she embraced him, slamming her arms around his waist.

He sighed, "It's fine Aya, we should probably make it clear you are not open to such things?"

Aya let him go and stepped back, looking apologetic, "Yes, I ehm, I am working on things for the next council meeting. Hopefully it works out and all of us can get married when we want and to whom ever we choose, or, not at all?"

Not at all, he nodded to himself.
He smiled.

"Good to know, I will read up on the current rules and laws on that. So at least I have a clue what you're on about." He said.

Aya smiled, "You can always ask me, us, the five, if there's anything unclear. There's so much to know, that's why we're all very happy we now have our own region's. Saves a lot of brain space for other things!"

He smiled at her, squinting due to it.
Damn, Durbin it was.