Chapter 23, Part 2: Harsh Decisions

The thing about the Reftin Circle was that it was nothing but smoke and mirrors. People in the cult - because that's exactly what it was, even if they denied it - went around, promising protection to the scattered villages and towns from the monsters on the prowl. The catch? Don't act against the gods.

Which would be simple, if that was it. No one in their right mind would ever go out of their way to displease the gods.

No, the problem was that the Circle thrived on being needed. I knew my organization had knowledge about the nymphtan I intended to hunt. They receive a copy of all my contracts. A simple nymph girl stealing horses wasn't something to stir too much concern on paper . . . If you didn't know much about the nymphian culture, that is.

So they could put a stop to this. They could have sent someone out to kill the evil monster while I was out stabbing young girls in the back - Igna was practically a baby to her kind.

Maybe I was no better than them, because if the stable master didn't listen to me, I was prepared to let Canden's countryside burn. Maybe then, people would realize that the Circle wasn't all it claimed to be.

If he did listen to me, then I'd get paid a little more money. I doubted the contract would count against my debt - it coincided too much with the one I just finished, and since I had one more left, they wouldn't want to leave me off that easy. My own damn fault for not including the nymphtan to begin with, they'd say.

Sleep exhaustion makes people do dumb things.

I found the portly old man chewing on a piece of straw, half-asleep on a crate that looked as if it was about to collapse beneath his weight. His gray, stringy hair was combed to the back, revealing patches of his balding head. He didn't strike me as the kind of man to care, however.

No matter. I was focused on the beasts held in stalls behind him. Three horses, and two horse-like creatures called gelbeasts. Gelbeasts were much thicker and sturdier than the former, with tough, muscly gray skin and wide, flat snouts hiding razor-sharp teeth fully capable of tearing raw meat to shreds. They bore no manes, and their eyes were a distinctive amber color, telling me that these beasts were meant for the shadows.

Without sparing the stable master another glance, I walked up to one of these creatures, slightly bowing my head when one of them snorted upon my approach. Setting my bundle down, I reached for a sack hanging on a nearby post, withdrawing a few pieces of jerky, before quickly tossing it in the beast's direction. The smaller of the two snatched it instantly, throwing back its head to reveal a maw of teeth. I took the moment to unwrap my sword, but I kept it slightly loose at my belt.

It was barely done chewing when I approached the bars, ignoring the bigger one that watched me carefully. The one I fed shook its head, a repetitive chirping sound vibrating in its massive chest. When I reached out my outstretched hand, palm open, it, too, bowed slightly, dragging its hooves along the straw-covered ground until it pressed its head against my hand. Its flesh was cold and leathery to the touch.

I didn't dare move my hand.

"Hi, girl," I said softly. "Do you welcome me?"

Slowly, the female beast glanced up, my hand sliding down the bridge of her nose until it rested against her lips. I looked up to meet her amber eyes, keeping my muscles relaxed even when she opened her mouth, planting my hand firmly between those sharp, bloodied bits of bone.

Patiently, I raised my other hand, keeping it within her vision until I could press my fingers behind her ear, giving it a gentle scratch.

"I promise, I taste horrible," I murmured. I doubted she knew what I was saying, but it was the tone that was important.