Chapter 26: Orik Has Questions

Canden's countryside was covered in blood by the time Crael had managed to summon enough strength to bathe the world in white. She stood on top of the wall, arms stretched overhead, and called to the heavens with a massive, chilling yell that reminded me to never underestimate the stationary side of my rank.

She didn't need suspicious magics for the world to obey her demand like I did. Bright, blinding light turned night to day for a few split seconds, casting the tree spirits to their place of rest while clearing the smoke from the earthy graves it came from. The skeleton-like horses dropped dead where they stood.

The nymphtan, Mutnya, was long gone by that point. Then again, so was I. I'd found the gelbeast I had spoken to earlier hovering near one of the many smoke pits, tearing apart enough tree spirits to warn the rest of them off. She bore a few scratches down her flank, but appeared to be otherwise unharmed.

She was damn glad to see me, though, even if she did come close to trampling me to the ground. I needed to be on my way to the hilly terrain that, according to Igna, was where the nymphtan resided. However, there was just one more thing I needed to do.

The gelbeast had no issue letting me ride her, which was a miracle on its own. They normally weren't so quick to let humans on their backs. Maybe she sensed that she'd have a greater survival outcome sticking with me than her previous handler, assuming he was even alive.

Idiot. This night could very well have been avoided if they'd just listen to me.

It's not like you put much effort into convincing them.

Just once, it would be nice if I could figure out if these thoughts were mine or someone else's.

An hour later, I was standing on a familiar doorstep I'd stood on just a few days prior, waiting for Adria's Dream to find me. I would have gotten here a lot sooner had I not been forced to hide within a ditch. The woods seemed to be infected with monsters as of late, and I'd encountered at least three reight-lomps along the way - giant, wispy figures that shone a pale blue color beneath the moonlight. To this day no one could determine if they were spirits or beings of another realm that got trapped here, but they were known for making a person's heart explode inside their chest by simply passing through them.

There were some things better left alone, and these creatures were one of them.

Grinding my teeth, I raised my fist, prepared to knock on the door, then stopped. I needed Orik to help me with hunting the nymphtan. His skill with using auzir would by far increase my chances of successfully sending this monster straight to hell after a time spent inflicting a special wrath of my own. I just wasn't sure how I could convince him to leave his children for a few days when people were slaughtered only a few miles from his home.

The door flew open before my knuckles could scrape the wood. Lanie startled, a bow in hand. His muscles tensed, as if he was restraining himself from moving against me. Ah, he must be going on his morning hunt.

"What are you doing here?" He said by way of greeting. Nonetheless, I caught him eying the weapon I had sheathed at my side, followed by the sling that crossed my chest. I knew my clothes were a little more loose on me than normal, but that shouldn't have stopped him from noting that I knew how to use everything I had on me.

"I'm here for your father. I need his help."

"He's not going anywhere with you," he said. I raised my brow.

"I do believe that is up to him."

"What could you possibly need his help for?"

"I don't like repeating myself, boy. I'll explain everything to him."