chapter 6

"Have a drink," Death Bringer held up a flask of what smelled to be rum.

I wrinkled my nose, "Must you always be intoxicated?"

He scoffed. "How would I ever cope without the numbing haze of alcohol? Let alone with having to endure a prolonged amount of time in the company of a royal."

My eyes practically rolled back into my head as I snatched the flask from his hands. "What exactly makes you despise me so? My kingdom? Those who rule it? I need not remind you that I, myself, am turning my back to my royal blood for the time being. Perhaps you and I have more in common than you'd like to let on," I took a large swig of the putrid liquid.

Death Bringer merely glanced back at me, his blue eyes fierce with something unreadable. "Story for another time. I do not wish to speak of my distaste for the royal bloodlines."

"Then what exactly do you wish to speak of? We've been hiking through woods and swamps for hours now and I am sure we have more ahead of us," I snapped.

"Your assumption would be correct. We have at least another three hours to go before we have made it to the opposite side of the island," Death Bringer shrugged.

"That didn't answer my question."

He scowled and folded his arms as he stepped over a few tree roots protruding from the dirt. Insects buzzed about, irritating my fae ears.

When he didn't respond, I took another swig of the flask and then tossed it back to him. Just as I was beginning to mumble something under my breath along the lines of how dreadful it smelled out here, he moved quicker than I could react. His hand was instantly covering my mouth and his body pressed against mine as he tucked us behind a group of trees. My heart was hammering in my chest, my anger rising as I fought the urge to tear my elongated canines into his fingers. His scent plagued my nose, the smell of sandalwood and rum spreading around me. I shot him a glare and shoved him slightly as his hand rose to his lips to shush me.

I stilled, tuning in my hearing around us. In the distance, I could hear the faint sound of a snarling beast. Its noises were guttural and full of hunger. Tilting my head, I tried to identify it. Then the sound of snapping twigs and rustling tree branches was followed by a swift breeze. In the air, my nose picked up on the distinguishable smell of a creature I was very familiar with: a boglin. Swamp monsters made of mud and senseless violence.

It was as if someone had pulled a cloak over my head as a bizarre black fog coated around us in a bubble. My eyes widened as I scanned around, the black swirls dancing as a shield. I took a step back from Death Bringer, my back colliding with the bark of the tree behind me as his eyes glossed over in a solid black. Fighting the urge to flea, I swallowed hard and felt my hand fall to the daggers strapped to my thighs beneath the soiled white dress.

He narrowed his black eyes at me with an annoyed look. "Relax. It won't hurt you. I'm shielding us."

"What are you? I have never seen faerie magic look like this. I thought magic this intense only flowed through royal bloodlines!" I demanded an explanation, holding my head high.

He rolled his shoulders uncomfortably. "I made a bargain with one of the dark gods. Swapped my magic for this."

My jaw dropped. "You... what?"

"Must I repeat myself? You do have fae hearing."

"What manner of magic did you possess? And the consequences of your bargain must have been deeper than a simple power exchange unless they were great powers!" I felt my guard building more and more. I really bit off more than I could chew by getting myself into this situation. I would've been better off trying to swim across the seas than getting on that damned ship.