chapter 25

Waves crashed against the ship in the distance, rain lightly pelting the upper deck in soft taps. I fully regained consciousness when the door creaked open and the squawk of a parrot grabbed my attention. Pulling the blankets closer to my chest, I became overly aware of what this room must have smelled like as Sea Legs popped his head through a crack in the door, a bright red parrot peering over his shoulder.

"You guys won't believe what I have been working on!" Sea Legs announced triumphantly before he froze.

Death Bringer jostled awake in the hammock beside me, his eyes flinging open like a child that had just got caught doing something they weren't supposed to.

Merlin narrowed his eyes, the parrot mimicking his gesture. He covered the parrot's view with one of his hands as a devious smirk plastered across his porcelain face. "Really guys? Gracie did not need to be exposed to these smells!"

My face was burning with embarrassment, realization settling in my bones and making a permanent home. What Death Bringer and I had done...

"Gracie?" was all I could manage.

Death Bringer scoffed, "He is referring to the bird."

"Are you two at least decent under those blankets?" Merlin raised a brow, a small smirk still tugging at the corner of his lips.

I rolled my eyes and pushed myself to my feet, the blanket dropping to the floor. My dress slid down my hips as I moved, concealing everything that needed to be. "Nothing happened," I blurted.

Merlin chuckled under his breath. "Very well," he clicked his tongue and allowed Gracie to step onto his extended finger.

I swallowed hard, trying to regain my composure. Desperately, I hoped I had finally got Death Bringer out of my system and things would go back to normal. A laugh nearly escaped my throat at the thought of Death Bringer in a relationship. There was no sense in entertaining that thought.

"Check it out," Merlin slipped the bird a peanut and whistled, the parrot straightening as it nibbled on its shell. Then Merlin began to bob his head around, whistling a tune. The bird lifted its wings and grooved its body, banging its head up and down to the rhythm as it chewed. "Parrot party, raise the roof Gracie, get loose!" Merlin danced around with the bird.

I couldn't contain my laughter, giggles escaping my throat. This is what was so urgent? He had been teaching a parrot how to dance. I clapped my hands together and beamed with a feeling of amusement. He always knew how to liven the mood.

The parrot finished its performance, Merlin breathless and full of pride as the parrot flapped its wings and glided onto his shoulder. "Now that we've got that out of the way," he cleared his throat, "Captain wishes to see us. All hands on deck. Oh and bad news... I didn't see him until this morning. Captain Silver Tongue brought his dog."

Death Bringer groaned and rolled his eyes, his messy hair hanging in his face. "He brought Davy Hawk with us."

I tensed at the mention of his name. Whoever he was, I almost fought him in the ring during my pirate initiation. Even Dark-Skull said he snapped spines for fun. "At least he will do well in the battle, should our seizure of the Kingdom of Fae lead to that."

Death Bringer slipped his skull mask over his face, only darkness emanating from his cool blue eyes. He was no longer the vulnerable male from earlier, but a death bringer in its embodiment. A ruthless killer, sharpened into a lethal blade. He carried himself like an impenetrable force as he confidently strolled out of the room, leaving Merlin and I alone with Gracie.

"He seems chipper," Sea Legs announced sarcastically.

I snickered as we made our way to the upper deck, "As always."