Chapter 9: Curiosity

Sirius' POV

"Hey," Marien interrupted me when I started to move the man. "If you go far away, how do I catch up with you?"

I smiled lightly at her again.

"I'll find you, don't worry. I already know your scent. It won't take long."

"Oh." She nodded with a slight red color on her cheeks. "Sure..."

She took the boy back to the city entrance, which was not far away.

I rushed over and grabbed the man's legs to drag him. He was heavy, but I still went almost at a brisk pace.

As I heard, we evolved people weighed a little more than humans since our bones were denser and we had a certain percentage more muscle or something like that. I hadn't dedicated myself to studying all that. I only lived training and learning things about my people.

Remembering that, apparently, Marien feared me made me tighten my lips. I wanted her to trust me...

I heard the man complain and stopped.

"This isn't over," he murmured. I turned to look at him with annoyance. "I want that human. She smells good." What?! Ugh. This man was such a...! "I'm sure you think that too. Or maybe not. You're just a kid."

I let go of his legs, approached him, and while he tried to continue threatening me and talking nonsense, I knocked him unconscious with another punch.

***

I saw Marien leaving the city. She had left the child with the guards. It somewhat surprised me. I left her alone, and she could have run away. She may have thought I was wild and dangerous and changed her mind.

However, there she was, looking for me while she hugged herself. She could have escaped if she thought I was a monster, but she hadn't... Maybe it was because she wanted to know about the evolved people.

I shook my head and walked closer. As soon as she saw movement, she turned around and saw me. She smiled with that sweetness that disarmed me and walked towards me.

Geez. Why did I become a fuss around her?

"Ready?"

She nodded, and we started walking. I saw her look at the broken sunglasses because, at some point, they flew off my face. She sighed sadly and tried to repair them as we walked. I didn't even remember I had them on when I launched to attack that man.

The child's situation moved her. Many humans were empathetic towards their own, not like my tutor said.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, don't worry," she murmured.

I knew she was lying, but although I wanted to comfort her, I had to respect that.

"Let's find a place to sit and eat, okay?" She suddenly asked with her smile, now calmer.

"Sure."

We sat on rocks near a river, and I smiled when I detected a familiar scent in the nearest bush—a rabbit.

The little animal came out, and Marien smiled when she saw it. She was probably hungry too. I got ready. I didn't even blink. I crouched so slowly that the rabbit didn't notice me, so before it did, I launched.

I buried my fangs in that precise place on its neck and rolled due to the momentum I had taken. I stood up with the animal already dead.

"Do you like the rabbit?" I asked Marien.