Chapter 10: Lessons

Marien's POV

When he said 'honorable,' I was surprised. It was a bit of an old-fashioned word to use, but I understood it was because his culture was different. I liked it. I didn't know how they handled nudity, but I was starting to understand him.

Although... Why? Why had the evolved man followed him to get revenge? As if it were a simple game to distract himself. Why did he ask Anthony that question? Didn't everyone fight like that?

While I was getting dressed, I stared for a couple of seconds at his perfect back, broad shoulders, and narrow hips, but I snapped out of my little daydream when I noticed some very slight marks on his skin. They looked like old wounds.

I shook my head and continued with my business.

***

I felt a mild heat on my skin and heard some voices.

"She's only asleep," Anthony was talking to someone. "She's part of an investigation and must reach the capital."

"We need your identification."

The other voice made me wake up completely. It was the daytime; the sun was warming my body. I raised my head to discover that Anthony still carried me on his back.

"You woke up," he said with a sweet smile. He had his sunglasses on, although broken, but repaired with the rubber band. I tried not to laugh; I really did. At least they were still doing the job.

"Ma'am, your identification so I can let you pass," the guard insisted, carrying a weapon.

I got off Anthony's back and rummaged in my backpack. I showed my ID, the guard signaled, and an enormous blast door opened. It dawned on me that Anthony had carried me on his back all night until reaching the other city, so the first thing I did was find a motel for him to rest. Maybe he was strong, but that had been too much.

"Okay, you can shower, take something from the freezer, and rest as much as you want. I'm going to buy some things," I said as he looked at the room.

There was a shower, but its walls were glass so that people could look out over the beds. Oh, my goodness, these people! At least it had curtains that I could draw to cover the view. There were also neon lights on the ceiling, and Anthony kept looking at them curiously.

He turned to see me, confused. He wanted to say something, but I left, closing the door.

I went through the stores for around two hours, looking for food. Besides, I got clothes for each of us and other useful things, including razors, soap, and toothpaste. Maybe I was paranoid about cleaning. I used the debit card since, at least, all that saved money was useful.

"I hope your boyfriend likes these shirts," the cashier murmured and smiled at me.

I smiled at that idea. Unfortunately, that boy didn't seem to know what it was like to be married, which meant he most likely didn't know anything about romance.

When I returned, I opened the door slowly. The light was low, and he lay asleep on the bed, only wearing pants. His face turned to his right with his hair wet and tousled because of the shower. I was tempted to watch him. He had a very calm expression.

I could spend hours admiring him. He was exotic.

I went up to him to fix the hair that covered his forehead, and then I caressed him gently. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be here anymore. I wanted to know if he could feel something...