5

Leo continued to enjoy the shared silence with Dante at the table in the corner of the pub, the pair occasionally exchanging nods or glances that conveyed a sense of understanding between them. The pub's atmosphere embraced them in a comforting cocoon, shielding them from the outside world. Leo could feel Emily's eyes on him every so often. He welcomed it, but tried not to act too inviting.

As the night progressed, Leo found himself feeling strangely content in Dante's silent company, a sentiment he hadn't expected from a chance encounter at a noisy pub. Their unspoken connection led them through a few more rounds of drinks, and Leo found himself sharing anecdotes from his chaotic life. He shared random tales of his quirky housemates, amusing incidents that had happened at the university, and the occasional wild escapade that left him questioning his choices. Dante, in his dark and reserved manner, absorbed these stories with a quiet intensity, occasionally offering a subtle smirk or a nod that conveyed a shared appreciation for the absurdity that seemed to be Leo's life. However, not once did he share anything about himself. He didn't really need to. Leo was happy to do most of the talking.

However, Leo was quite pleasantly surprised when Dante spoke up first about an unrelated topic. "That bartender seems to be watching you very closely," he said in a low voice.

Leo glanced at Emily again. Their eyes met and she smiled quickly before turning away to serve another punter. "Seems like I have a shadow," Leo said with a shrug.

"Girlfriend?" Dante asked questioningly.

Leo let out a short laugh. "Definitely not."

"Why's that funny?" Dante asked.

"I don't really do girlfriends," Leo explained, a slight shake of his head. "Too much drama."

Dante's eyes lingered on Leo for a moment, assessing the sincerity in his words. "No commitments, then?" he inquired, his voice calm and measured.

Leo leaned back in his chair, a contemplative expression crossing his face. "No. Not really. I mean, what's the point? I've got friends and that's enough for me. Relationships just complicate things, you know?"

Dante nodded in understanding, his gaze unwavering. "Complications can be rough."

"Yeah, exactly," Leo agreed.

"And fun," Dante added.

Leo's eyebrows flew up in surprise. If he didn't know any better, he'd assume Dante was actually trying to be funny. But surely not. The brooding man in front of him didn't seem capable of fun. Or jokes. Or a smile. Leo began swirling the remnants of his drink inside his glass and hummed. "Maybe, but I've got enough chaos and anxiety in my life with my housemates. Adding romantic entanglements to the mix? No, thank you."

Dante remained silent, as if processing Leo's perspective on relationships. His ever watchful and steely green hues shimmered with curiosity but in the end, he just decided to keep quiet. He didn't say anything in response to Leo's comment. He just accepted them.

"And what about you?" Leo asked Dante when he didn't get a response. "Do you do relationships?" Leo asked, attempting to steer the conversation toward the enigmatic stranger sitting across from him.

Dante's expression remained impassive and he took a moment before responding. "I've had my share of complications. Not looking for anything serious at the moment. I'm busy."

Leo raised an eyebrow, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "So, you're a man of mystery in more ways than one, huh?"

Dante's lips quirked into a half-smile and his eyes momentarily lost their hardness. It was the first genuine expression Leo had seen from him all night and it caused Leo to sit up straight and grin. "Something like that. You sure do ask a lot of questions, Leonardo."