25. Bluish Moonlight

Sirius Black

Tuesday, 8th February 1972.

Hogwarts

"So throughout history, our telescopes became more advanced making it actually possible to see the difference between planets and nebulae..."

The Marauders were currently having Astronomy, but Sirius' attention wasn't directed at Mrs. Shelton because he already knew everything about the stuff she was talking about. Of course, the Blacks needed to be educated in everything that was to do with planets, starts, constellations, solar systems...

After all, their whole family naming tradition was based on the astronomy. Sirius found this just as ridiculous like most of their traditions. To him it just seemed like they wanted to be different so bad from the rest of the pureblood families and have special names with special meanings. It was pretty funny when he thought about it, the Blacks had such superiority complex that they literally named themselves after freaking stars.

"I agree with Sirius. We should explore Hogsmeade, we haven't entered the mirror passageway in months.", James whispered to the rest of them after Sirius insisted on going to another mission. They still haven't thought of the good enough way to get the Slytherins back, so the exploration of Hogsmeade would have to do.

Peter sighed, "James, that was because it was too cold for us to literally go through the freezing water. It's still February, we will have to wait for warmer weather.", he had a tone which people used while explaining basic stuff to children.

Sirius pouted at that explanation. Yes, they had agreed to wait at least until March, but it was almost March. What good could a few weeks actually do? Remus noticed his disapproving attitude, so he tried to be the voice of reason.

"Okay, maybe we can go and explore the castle again? Who's to say that we wouldn't find another secret passageway? After all, there should be a lot of them and we can probably—", but his compromise was cut short by their professor.

"Mr. Lupin! I would have expected this lack of attention from Mr. Black and Mr. Potter, but from you?", she gave Remus a disappointed look which made Sirius feel guilty immediately.

He was the one who started the conversation because he was bored and now Remus was in trouble for just wanting for everyone to get along. There must be something Sirius could do to ease this situation, "Sorry, Mrs. Shelton. It was my fault. I was just explaining to them the different types of nebulae.", he gave her an apologetic smile, but she didn't seem to budge this time around.

"Oh, really? So then, Mr. Black, why don't you explain that to the whole class?", she raised an eyebrow at Sirius, but the boy was ready for this challenge.

He stood up proudly while the other Marauders prepared themselves for a silly comment or some funny stunt, but this time, Sirius wouldn't give them the satisfaction. He cleared his throat dramatically and started the explanation.

"The nebula could be described as a giant cloud of dust and gas in space. There are a lot of classifications when it comes to nebula types, but the main division usually consists of two types. First one being a star forming nebulae and the second one being a star dying nebulae."

Mrs. Shelton seemed impressed with his knowledge as did the rest of Marauders. Sirius saw Peter and James' mouth fall open while Remus just looked at him confused. Their reactions were satisfactory enough for Sirius to continue with the rest of the explanation.

"The more common type is the star forming one, but in specific cases, other conditions could result in nebula being formed when a star dies. It all depends on the situation and the outside factors which will determent if the star will be born or if it will die. This results in the creation of a nebula. Thank you, thank you."