36. Tryouts

James Potter

Saturday, 2nd September 1972.

Hogwarts

"Rise and shine!"

Ah, how good it felt to be back, James thought to himself as he got out of bed. It was currently 05:30am, just the perfect time to wake up before the quidditch tryouts. Granted, the tryouts were starting at 08:30am, but James had specific preparation schedule he wanted to finish.

Unfortunately for him, the rest of the Marauders did learn Remus' spelling the curtains shut spell, but James looked at their defense just as a mere obstacle he will jump over.

He got ahold of his wand, neared Peter's bed and whispered, "Tremefacit"

Instantly, the bed in front of him started to shake like literal earthquake was happening, but James just ignored it and casually strode to the next bed. He didn't even reach Remus when Peter started shouting and cussing which gave him quite the satisfaction.

James repeated the incantation while imagining a surprise on Remus' face once he woke up to an earthquake simulation. Halfway through his strode to the last bed, Remus' roars invaded his ears, "JAMES! YOU ARE A DEAD MAN WALKING!"

He just grinned while Peter continued to grumble, not as loud as Remus though, and went into the bathroom. Then he charmed Sirius' bed to do the same, but just as he casted the spell, there was a ruthless sound of the curtains being ripped open from behind him.

Remus, in all his fury, was glaring murderously at James while his bed still shook, "Oh, good! You are awake! I didn't know you were a morning person, Remus!"

The angry boy slipped one leg off the bed, "Okay, don't be so feisty. Today are the tryouts.", James tried to reason, but Remus just slipped his other leg on the floor, "Look—", now even James started to get little panicked as Remus was about to stand up, but Sirius' screams cut off his second try at reasoning, "POTTER! I WILL END YOU!"

Before James knew it, there was another sound of the curtains being furiously ripped open. He didn't even notice that Remus was now gripping his wand while starting to approach him, but once Sirius joined the boy with his wand raised as well, one thing became very clear to James Potter.

"Well... guess I'll just go and...", he pointed towards the door, but before he could even manage to grip the handle, Sirius pointed his wand at the door and said viciously, "Colloportus"

There was a triumphant glint in Remus' eyes which James didn't like one bit. Guess it is time for plan B. Like on cue, angry looking Peter exited the bathroom, wand in hand to James' sorrow. While nearing them, the small boy knocked down a stack of books resulting in a loud thud.

James needed a diversion and he needed it now. He gasped as dramatically as he could, "Guys! Pete fainted!", he tried to act shocked and worried while pointing towards a very confused looking Peter. The small boy raised an eyebrow at his statement, "No, I didn't.", but it was too late, James got his out.

Sirius and Remus had already turned towards Peter giving James the perfect opportunity to force his way to his bed and grab the new Nimbus 1500 his parents got him. Before anyone could react, he mounted it and started his plan B escape route towards the open window.

Sirius had quite better reflexes than the other two, so he quickly tried to jinx James, but it was already too late. His attempt only made the books beside Remus' bed fall straight to the floor, joining the ones Peter knocked down earlier.

The three of them glared at James from the window while he glided through the air on his new Nimbus 1500, "I'll see you at breakfast!", he yelled and started to descend towards the ground. Before the dorm was completely out of his earshot, James heard an angry voice that definitely belonged to the Gryffindor prefect, Anthony, "What in Merlin's beard are you lot doing at six in the morning!"