51. I Know

Sirius Black

Saturday, 17th February 1973.

Hogwarts

"I know what you know.", James said to him before slamming the door shut and charming them locked.

Sirius was in the middle of searching for his book titled Full Moon with Lycanthropy, but this outburst from James made him stop rummaging through his nightstand and stand up to face his friend, "What?", he asked, quite confused.

James took a step towards him, "I know what you know.", he just repeated which didn't really help Sirius, "How do you know that I know something?", he asked.

"I know that you know.", James said as he gave Sirius a meaningful look. After those words, everything became clearer to Sirius so his eyes became a little wider, "How do you know?", There is no way that James knows.

"The same way that you know.", James said which confirmed Sirius's suspicions. He took a step towards James now, "How do you know that that is how I know?", he needed to make sure that James really knew what he was talking about.

"What even is that question?", James exclaimed irritated, "Look. I know, alright?"

But it was not alright to Sirius, "How do you know that we are even talking about the same thing?", he questioned James. Sirius just wasn't sure that James really knew what he was talking about.

"Trust me. We are talking about the same thing.", James stated confidently while still looking Sirius straight in the eyes.

There was only one logical solution to this mess, "Okay.", Sirius started, "Let's just... say it on three.", he proposed and James nodded.

"One...", both of them uttered, "Two... Three!"

"Frank asked us to cancel his Care of Magical Creatures class!", Sirius yelled.

"Remus is a werewolf!", James yelled at the same time.

'WHAT?!", both of them exclaimed in disbelief.

There was a pause and to Sirius silence never felt quite this loud before. They just stared at each other with wide eyes, but, like always, Sirius just couldn't bear the silence, "How do you know that?"

"How do you know that?", Jame' voice was similar to his, full of confusion and disbelief.

"Vanity heard Frank say how he asked some secret prank society to help them with canceling the class. I didn't tell you that I knew because I was waiting for you to tell me.", Sirius explained. It all happened while he was waiting for James to change this morning after practice. Vanity and O'Down were leaving the changing rooms when Sirius heard Vanity talk about Frank.

"Merlin.", James said as he facepalmed himself, "Frank should really learn how to be secretive."

"I know, right?!", Sirius agreed, "How is he expecting us to plan something in peace if everybody knows that we are planning something!", he moved his hands in frustration while complaining.

"Right?!", James joined him in complaining while mirroring erratic hand gestures, "I mean of course we can do it, but now everyone will expect something which isn't ideal for a surprise prank at all...", James' voice became quieter and slower towards the end of the sentence. It looked to Sirius like the boy just figured something out and his suspicions were confirmed once James spoke again, "Wait a minute! Don't change the topic!", he exclaimed while pushing his lopsided glasses up his nose.

Sirius frowned, "I'm not changing anything. What topic?", he tried to sound clueless, but James saw straight through him. He pointed an accusing finger straight at Sirius, "You knew!"