42. Not All Letters are Good Letters

Peter Pettigrew

Saturday, 2nd December 1972.

Hogwarts

Peter,

The last painting you have sent me is beautiful. Not a portrait, but still beautiful. You are getting better and better when it comes to color pallets.

We have some important things to talk about which should probably be discussed in person, but, due to my concerns, I wanted to talk about this as soon as possible. Before that, how are you? Is everything okay? How is school?

The Potters had invited us to their Christmas party. I know you love those so rest assure, we are going yet another year! Do you have anything in particular you would like for Christmas or your birthday? I know nothing can beat William's last year's present, but we can always try.

Now on to some more serious topics.

William has written to us. He seemed quite proud of all your achievements when it comes to mischief. The same couldn't really be said about me. He told me about your prank on Slytherin students. I know that you just want to have fun and I understand that. We all were quite reckless when we were young, but Peter you must think about your future. About our family's future.

I know that rivalry exists between Gryffindors and Slytherins. It was really obvious even back in my school years, but you are not like most Gryffindors. You have responsibilities you have to fulfill. Reputation you have to upkeep.

You will take over Pettigrew's Portraits in the future and, if you continue this behavior towards Slytherin students, who do you think would want to work with you? I know that you just want to have fun and enjoy school with your friends, but like I said, you are not like James, Sirius or Remus. You depend on those Slytherins. They are the ones who will want portraits painted in the future.

Please think about this. You are not a kid anymore, you have to think about bigger things than silly pranks. Leave the Slytherins be if you still want to be a portrait painter or we will have to discuss the future of Pettigrew's Portraits.

Other thing I wanted to discuss is your art. Most of the paintings you have sent me are not portraits. Yes, they are beautiful like I said, but they are not what you should be doing. You should be practicing painting faces, hair, shoulders, hands... I know that you love to paint nature way more, but that isn't the thing that you can turn into a job. Portraits, Peter. Portraits. Keep that in mind when you lift your paint brush next time.

Say hi to James, Sirius and Remus. Me and your mother look forward to seeing you soon. I hope that you will listen to my advice. I only want what is best for you. Please don't disappoint me again.

Dad

Peter sighed once he finished reading the letter. He didn't quite know how he felt. It was rather confusing. On one hand he knew what his dad had said was completely true, but on the other was everything else. Yes, he can probably tone down the pranks on Slytherins, but did he want to do that?

He knew that his future did depend mostly on Slytherins, but that didn't mean that all his future depended on them. Just this summer he didn't visit even one Slytherin family. He and Edwin went to the Longbottom's, Fortescue's, Podmore's and Patil's, none of which were Slytherin-obsessed.