Prologue

"R-ran.."

He hummed as a response.

He had his hands tucked in his back pocket, waiting. He looked down at the girl in front of him, as the height difference made it hard for him to look at her at equal height.

"I-I... l-like.. you.." She stuttered, in a blushing mess.

Ran looked at the girl and said nothing. He took a deep breath and scratched the back of his head.

"Why?" He asked, feeling a bit annoyed.

Ran knew this was going to happen, eventually. The girl has been following him around. He had morning duties, she was there, even if she didn't have to come that early. He had volleyball practice till late at night, she'll stay and walk with him until he has to tell her 'sweetly' that she has to go home or her parents would be worried. He never showed any interest to the girl but only a simple kindness such as opening the door for her.

It was funny to him that all it takes for a girl to fall in love is kindness. Sad, really.

"B-because, you're nice and kind! And y-you're good in volleyball.." She stated.

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. He took another deep breath and said the same words he has been saying over and over again.

"You seem to be a lovely girl... but I'm sorry.." He paused, looking at the girl's eyes starting to water.

"...I already have someone I like.." He finished looking away.

He knew the girl's tear has fallen but he didn't dare look at her. He had a handkerchief with him to lend but he'd rather be an asshole so he wouldn't lead the girl on with fake hope.

She excused herself and walked away, sobbing.

He leaned against the wall as he watched her disappear through the school halls.

"So, you broke another heart, player?" A girl said, leaning to the wall next to him.

He sighed again, feeling annoyed one more time.

"Shut the fuck up.. Why were you even eavesdropping?" He mumbled and grabbed his gym bag from the floor.

"Hey... No need to get so worked up, lover boy! I was just passing by..." The unknown girl teased, as she backed off from the wall.

He looked at her but said nothing.

"W-what?" She stuttered, feeling small.

He rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"Where's Ryouta?" He asked.

"Ahh onii-chan?" She leaned back to the wall again and started to smirk.

'Oh no..' He thought.

"Sometimes, I wonder if that someone you like is actually my brother..." She teased again.

"What the fuck, Rika?" He looked at her with disgust.

The girl, Rika, started to laugh. She laughed so hard, she had to sit on the floor. Her skirt starting to rise, almost showing her underwear.

Almost.

Ran quickly saw what was going to happen and pulled her back up to her feet, feeling flustered that he almost saw his best friend's sister's underwear. I mean, he saw her as his little sister too.

Right?

She was still laughing but now she's holding onto him for support as he looked at her with soft eyes.

"I-I'm not joking though..." She said out of breath, as tears started to form from laughing.

"Ha Ha Ha.." He laughed sarcastically.

"I'm going to let go of you if you don't tell me where Ryouta is." He glared at the girl.

"Go ahead.." She provoked still laughing at her joke.

He rolled his eyes.

As he was about to let go, he heard someone walking up to them, making him turn around. Then he finally saw the person he was looking for.

"Uhh... hey?" Ryouta greeted feeling confused with the situation in front of him.

"Rika.. What are you doing to Ran?" He asked getting closer to the two.

"Hey! Why are you making it look like it's my fault?" She pouted at her brother.

"It is, though." Ran said, deadpan.

She glared at Ran as she felt his hand loosen around her arms.

"Anyways, let's go to practice." Ran said, adjusting his gym bag.

"Aye, aye, captain!" My brother saluted as Ran gave him an expressionless face.

They both wave at the girl, walking away from her. Rika waved back and slowly made her way out of the school, still holding on to the arm, that the boy held, close to her chest. Almost cherishing it.