Chapter Sixteen

Bria expected the Crown Prince and the Queen Empress to remove her from their residence eventually, and part of her didn't mind it in the least. She had spent too much time with the royals lately and she feared she would lose the true purpose of her journey. The only thing that concerned her was the possibility that they would return to the Empire without her, but she reminded herself that she possessed the only manual that would get anyone anywhere. It was her only bargaining chip, and they all knew it.

They walked in silence with the Queen Empress only a few paces ahead. If she knew it wouldn't end her own life, she would have killed the woman many times over by now. But the Prince would have murdered her on sight, and should she ever manage to get away, once her betrayal was discovered, she was certain her life would end at the hands of the only man she ever truly loved. So no, for the moment the Empress lived, but only because the Mistress allowed it.

The Empress' friend met them at the door, and was quickly down the walkway to meet them, wearing only plaid sleeping pants and a tank top.

"We need to talk. Now," she said to the Empress with a gleam in her eye, barely paying any attention to Bria.

The Empress stopped where she stood, seeming to assess the situation. "Okay. Bria, go ahead inside, make yourself comfortable. We'll be in in a moment."

"Yes, Empress," Bria said, bowing her head and giving the friend a quick sideways glance. She could play the subservient well enough, biding her time until they returned to the Empire. The Empress moved on as the friend took her arm and walked down the path away from her. Bria hoisted her satchel higher on her shoulder and climbed the stairs to enter the apartment.

It was quaint, clean, and simple. It looked like someone barely lived there, apart from the empty wine bottle and glasses strewn around on various tables. Unable to help herself, Bria started picking up the glasses and bringing them to the sink in the kitchen to wash them and smiled to herself.

Old habits die hard.

She dried her hands and looked around. Perhaps this would work out, especially if its inhabitant was away more than she was home. Bria brought her satchel into the living room, which she assumed would be her new accommodation, but just as she was about to sit down and make herself comfortable, she realized that she wasn't alone.

"Hello, Bria."

She almost jumped out of her skin. Not because she was no longer alone, but because the words she heard were in a language that no one else in her general vicinity should have been speaking. She spun around to the source and her jaw dropped.

"You—what are you doing here?"

"I suppose I could ask you the same thing," he responded in the casual purr of Lelriera. "When I left, Reylor suspected something had happened to you. I wonder what he will say when he discovers this is what you've been up to."

"What have you been up to?" she responded, almost defiantly. "I'm here, trying to save him, and you—"

"You know what I'm doing here."

"It's too soon."

"It's soon enough."

"But her?"

"It seems poetic, don't you think?"

"I think you're forgetting your place, young prince."

"I think you're getting yourself involved deeper than you should be, Mistress."

That gave Bria a moment to pause. "How do you—?"

He motioned out the window. "This one likes to talk. Even in her poor attempts to make the story seem believable, I know all about your travels with the Crown Prince and the research you two are attempting. It won't work, you know that."

"Lord Reylor is getting involved in something much bigger than he—or you—even want to realize. The Councillor—"

"—is restoring the rightful heir to the throne, and that heir needs an Empress."

Bria's eyes widened at this revelation. They were all in deeper than she could have ever imagined.

"And what of the Crown Prince and the Queen Empress? What will happen should they return to the Empire? Will you purposely put them in danger? What does the Councillor have in store for them?"

Something flashed behind his bright eyes. "What of them? They will remain here, if you know what's good for them."

"What about your sister?"

His gaze remained on her as he took a step deeper into the living room. "She is nothing but an infant, and so long as she remains here, she will continue to remain an ignorant child for many years to come."

Bria couldn't believe what she was hearing. This was not the young boy she had helped raise. She knew she had been gone for a bit, but nothing prepared her for this. She backed up further and felt the cool pane of the window's glass through her thin shirt, but he continued his approach.

He was soon leaning over her, his arm braced against the wall next to her head. Her breathing had quickened. No, she did not know him any longer—it was almost as though a madness had taken over him, not so different than the manic urges that Lord Reylor would have whenever the Empress was involved.

"He won't get away with this, Lexan. You know that."

He smiled slightly upon hearing her say his true name.

"Who won't? The Councillor? Reylor? Me? Dear Bria," he murmured as a gentle hand ran its fingers along her cheek. "It's already happening. If you ever consider telling my mother or the Crown Prince who I am, I will personally end you."

Bria closed her eyes and tried to turn away, but the hand on her cheek kept her from moving too far. When he forced her to look at him, she opened her eyes directly into the gaze of the young prince.

"One more thing, Bria."

"What?"

Slowly, Lexan leaned in and her breath hitched uncontrollably. With a smirk, he grazed his lips against her cheek and brushed his mouth against her ear.

"Do us proud," he whispered with one final kiss to her earlobe, releasing her as he vaulted across the living room as the door to the apartment opened.

Bria could barely move, let alone breathe. She didn't have time to think before the Empress and her friend entered the living room. The friend walked quickly to Lexan, wrapping her arms around his waist as he leaned down to give her a kiss. Bria's stomach churned as the two turned to the Empress, blissful smiles on their faces.

"Alex, I'd likeyou to meet Nile."