Chapter 7 - Face to Face

_________________________________

"Be as you wish to seem."

-Socrates

_________________________________

Salvatore's POV:

I arrive at the airport still unsure if what's happening is real. I have a daughter. Me. For five years now I have been the head of the Andolini family. And I know I'm good at my job, I'm very good at my job in fact. And the main reason is because I have no family. No wife, and diffidently no children. In my world, they are a distraction, and distractions get you killed.

To love is to destroy, and to be loved, is to be the one destroyed. That is what my father taught me. I've seen what love can do. I know personally what it can do. That's why I hope this kid isn't mine. Cause what am I meant to do if she is? I can't love her like a normal father can. How can I replace her mom and stepfather?

A couple of hours later me and Armando arrive in Chicago. I have only been here a few times for business. And I never really liked it.

After my call with Miss Travis, she emailed over all of the information that I needed. Amara is 15 years old. Before all this happened she was living with her mom Anna, and stepdad Luke. and now she is living at St Lucy's Chicago Children's Home. So that's where I'm heading.

I can't wrap my head around it. I don't how I have gone 15 years without knowing I have a child. But I remember Anna. She was beautiful, and kind and I did like her, but it couldn't go on. My life is dangerous. She deserved to find a partner, she deserved a happy and safe life. And I'm sure that's the type of life she had before she passed away.

The entire car ride I can't stop thinking about the young girl. what if I am her dad? What do I do then?

We drive through Chicago. "How long till we are there Robert!". I was always taught to remember people's names. It don't matter who they are or what their role is. To remember them shows that you respect. Which means in turn, they will respect you.

"About ten minutes, the traffic isn't too bad at this time of day Sir". Fuck.

Know I feel sick. My heart is beating so hard. I have never felt like this. Well, I mean this particular incident has never happened before so I guess my reaction is fairly new. Finally, we turn the corner. And I can see the sign for the group home.

Amara's POV:

"It's time to come down now kid". Felix says after opening the door.

I decide not to speak. Getting up from my bed and walking out of the room. It feels like I'm walking in slow motion, but even that is too fast. I am about to walk to the meeting room but Felix corrects me taking me over to the office. "Just sit over there Amara". I sit in the small wooden chair, shrinking slightly in my seat. Felix then walks over to the other side of the desk to sit down. "Okay, so the way this works is that, in a few minutes, I'm going to take you to the meeting room. And then Mr Andolini will join you" he tells me.

Andolini, why does that name sound so familiar? Is he a celebrity or something? Why do I know that name?

I realise that I have forgotten to answer Felix when I see him looking back at me with raised eyebrows for an answer. "Yeah. That's ok". Did I answer that too fast? I feel like I answered that too fast.

"Amara, I need you to understand that if you feel uncomfortable at any moment and want to leave the room you can. I know all of this is confusing for you" He tells me.